Windshield Repair Practice

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
FixitFelix
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Windshield Repair Practice

Post by FixitFelix »

Guys,

Quick question. Is there much difference between a stock lammy sheet and an actual windshield (besides the curvature)? I ask because i've got plenty of leftover lammy from commercial door repairs, and was wondering if I could use that to practice on, or if I needed to practice primarily on windshields.

Thanks
I'm your huckleberry
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Windshield Repair Practice

Post by screenman »

Can I also add, when practicing it is a good idea make the damage wet before starting the process and also to do a good few outside. The wet gets you used to drying out and the outside gets you used to the idea of direct and indirect uv. Making sure you master these things will make the quality of your repairs far better.
FixitFelix

Post by FixitFelix »

Bruce McDonald wrote: June 4th, 2019, 1:46 pm Windshields are listed as AS1 on the bug, we have used AS2 for practice glass for years. The difference is the thickness of the PVB (laminate). I would try using what you have.
Thanks for that Bruce!
screenman wrote: June 4th, 2019, 10:44 pm Can I also add, when practicing it is a good idea make the damage wet before starting the process and also to do a good few outside. The wet gets you used to drying out and the outside gets you used to the idea of direct and indirect uv. Making sure you master these things will make the quality of your repairs far better.
Thanks for the advice! I honestly hadnt thought about doing that, but now that you mention it that's definitely preparation to what would seem to be a fairly common scenario. I'm just trying to set my staging/practice area to throw at me the most common scenario's i'll be experiencing so i'm not surprised when im in the field.
I'm your huckleberry
Wayneious

Post by Wayneious »

I would take the time in all honesty to setup a training area if you can.

This is mine that I use at home:

Went to a local windshield replacement area and asked for a smaller style from windshield, that one is a Toyota corolla front glass. cost was about $25.00.

I believe nowadays I've gotten about 50 repairs out of it and getting ready to get a new one.

The PVC setup was 1 1/4 inch but if you build one do it with 2" at least because of the flexing and weight.
"Success is my duty, responsibility and obligation to myself" - Grant Cardone
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Always a good idea to practice as much as you can. That's a nice setup!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.