Good Repair then legs return??

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
20twenty
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Good Repair then legs return??

Post by 20twenty »

Hi All.
I had a new issue arise today and was wondering what might be the cause? I repaired a small star on a customer approx 3 weeks ago. It was a good repair with only a small freckle left as evidence of its existence:-) He returned today and its as if the the star has returned and never been filled. The fill freckle is still intact but it appears the spider legs ( as I call them) have returned. What would cause this and can anything be done?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
RCRNR

Re: Good Repair then legs return??

Post by RCRNR »

Are you sure it is not a new chip? Once it is filled and cured I have never seen one return.
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ghost rider »

20twenty wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 6:02 pm Hi All.
I had a new issue arise today and was wondering what might be the cause? I repaired a small star on a customer approx 3 weeks ago. It was a good repair with only a small freckle left as evidence of its existence:-) He returned today and its as if the the star has returned and never been filled. The fill freckle is still intact but it appears the spider legs ( as I call them) have returned. What would cause this and can anything be done?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Did you do a dry-out? If no, may have had moisture or other contamination to prevent a good bond. If yes, did you cool the glass? cracks may have been swelled shut from the heat and not able to fill completely although they will appear filled. I've done hundreds or maybe thousands of re-repairs and it's usually not worth it unless it a very simple break and then you have maybe a 50% chance of making it look good enough for the customer. Good luck.
20twenty

Post by 20twenty »

RCRNR wrote: January 4th, 2020, 3:25 pm Are you sure it is not a new chip? Once it is filled and cured I have never seen one return.
I did see a couple new rock nicks (abrasions) around the old repair. But no signs of the old repair actually being hit again?:-/
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Not sure about the moisture comment above I personally check every chip or crack for moisture FIRST if found I evaporate it. I have never seen one reappear. I have had some that had a new chip close to where a repair was done. I had a customer ONCE who said her chip failed only to find out I never did that car I did a different car she owned. Then she said yes your right I never brought this one in only thought about it. Was the chip smooth like the rest of the glass if not it was probably a new one. Right when I touched her initial chip I 100 percent knew I never touched it being I even resurface competitors chips free at same time as repairs I do. Here where I do business one big company fills chip ok but never fills the pits? The other Safelite fills the pits but never fill the chips. Customers seem impressed when they say those two chips were already repaired and I can tell them exactly who did the repairs without being told.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Not sure I understand Ghost Rider's last sentence but I agree that not removing the moisture could be the problem, as resin diluted with water weakens the bond. I also agree that if you did remove the moisture with heat, or just heated the before or during the repair process without properly cooling the glass after doing so, the glass may have expanded, giving the illusion of the cracks being filled. It takes far longer for the glass to cool than most people think if you don't use a Heat Exchanger, or some other method for cooling the glass. In some cases it may take hours for the cracks to reappear, and days or weeks before the customer notices.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Hi Brent. My last sentence referred to 20twenty's statement "can anything be done? "
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Gotcha. I re-read the sentence and it makes sense now, must have been in a hurry when I posted my response.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.