Curing under pressure

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Curing under pressure

Post by ghost rider »

Novus used to teach curing under pressure. They don't teach it anymore. Why did they stop?

I consider curing under pressure a waste of time and I'm getting too old to waste time so I don't do it.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Jtmac,

You do bring up great point about cracks that are below the surface, and I agree that if the crack is only on the inside surface of the outer layer of glass flexing from the outside would be the way to open it up. I should have clarified that I was talking about surface cracks, which are the more likely to crack out in my opinion. In my last post I was speaking about cracks that are either all the way through the first layer of glass, or are on the outer surface where the impact occurred.

For cracks that are all the way through the outer layer of glass or that do reach the outer surface, when you flex from the outside of the glass you are indeed closing the crack for a second, then allowing it to open back up as you release the pressure. That process can actually open the crack a bit, just as continuing to flexing a crack in any other substance back and forth will do, but it is upon the release of pressure that it opens up, not the application of downward force. This is very easy to demonstrate, which we have done for customers many times. The opposite would be true if the crack is not open to the outside of the glass, but is open to the inside if the outer layer of glass. I think we are on the same page on this.

I do disagree with regard to your statement about 30-40 psi pressure on the outside of the glass not being enough to distort the glass, but hey, if curing under pressure works for you more power to you.

As for woodworking, I've done my share but if you have been teaching it for 25 years, almost as long as I have been training windshield repair technicians, I have no doubt you could teach me plenty. I bow to your expertise in woodworking and I respect your opinions with regard to windshield repair, even if I we always agree! :D
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Glass Patch
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Glass Patch »

Ghost Rider

Speaking from over 30 years ago. When curing under pressure a Novus friend of mine had a small problem for he cured from underneath and he would seize up his injectors. When I got my UV light I tried from underneath and when I pulled my injector off. The resin had a molded section of my injector. After that I did it from the side in a way to keep the UV out of the inside of my injector, and only on solid on the repair with the injector was removed.

If Novus had stopped instructing this. Then my hypothesis would be Novus may have had a rash of seized injector problems. No fact check for this possibility, so don't send out the torches and pitch forks please. LOL
screenman

Post by screenman »

Glass Patch that is odd, I have never manged to get enough UV through the windshield even to set pit fill resin, reason being there is a built it uv inhibitor. Novus used to teach curing under pressure by resting the light on top of the injector at an angle, or at least they did when they trained me over 31 years ago.
Glass Patch
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Glass Patch »

screenman

When I was a glass saver there was still epoxy being used for windshield repair but we didn't use it. In my collection I have an unopened Novus packet with the epoxy (so things change). Back in those days most of us who did the repair modified our kits for better results. I know of those who used super glue and accelerator to finish up the pit. I was the first in my group of glass savers to use cuts from the old style note book sheet covers to cure the resin in the pit instead. I am working from a very old set of memories for I have been a blacksmith for 34 years building suites of armor for rein-actors. Teaching my boys the windshield work and getting out my old kits has brought back these memories.