Do pass aging repairs change in appearance over time?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
SanAntonioWindshield
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Do pass aging repairs change in appearance over time?

Post by SanAntonioWindshield »

About once every couple months I am contacted from a customer that believes their windshield chip is cracking out or is it appearing more. I used to go out to check them out but most of the time I go see them and they look like pass repairs that are normal. Rarely do I have a actual crack out. I've been doing this for about 9 years and have been successful.

My question is this normal? Do these chips start to look different overtime. When you first make the repair is that the ideal look of it? Is it going to be more visible later with age or is it suppose to stay exactly the same as when you left. I know sometimes the outer pit resin can deteriorate and get a little bumpy. But I'm talking about cracks here. Thanks in advance for your input.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Do pass aging repairs change in appearance over time?

Post by Brent Deines »

In my experience any pit filler will deteriorate to some degree over time, which as you know can be re-surfaced very quickly, however the appearance of a crack or or anything sub-surface should not change.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
SanAntonioWindshield

Post by SanAntonioWindshield »

Thank you Brent.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Brent the pit resin from Delta also shrinks over time? Just want to inform my customers honestly.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

All pit resin will deteriorate over time, meaning that rain, snow, and extreme temperatures, combined with road debris, chemicals, and your windshield wipers serving as a constant sanding block, will eventually cause Delta Kits pit resins, as well as any other pit resins, to show signs of aging.

This is not to be confused with some of the pit fillers we have all seen that shrink up and fall out of the pit after a few months, or a few days in some cases, but the same surface deterioration that eventually causes a windshield, headlights, and paint to become pitted, streaked, and scratched.

Just like with your windshield, headlights, and paint, how long that process takes depends on how many miles the vehicle is driven each year, whether the vehicle is parked in a garage or left out in the elements, how often the vehicle is washed, etc.

The good news is that a high quality resin can be resurfaced at any time, leaving the surface looking like it did when it was first repaired. Just be sure you are using a high quality resin, and a high quality UV light, to be sure the resin is fully cured before polishing and releasing to the customer.

Glad you are being honest with your customers! If they know what to expect they will know to bring the vehicle back to you for resurfacing should it ever be necessary, which also gives you the opportunity to inspect for additional repairable damage and possible headlight restoration opportunities. It has even gotten us additional positive reviews from customers who are not used to that kind of service after the initial sale.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

Yes, in my experience I have e seen some deterioration on poor repairs the better ones hold up with a stronger resin.