Insurance Chip Pay Amounts

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ExpertChipRepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Insurance Chip Pay Amounts

Post by ExpertChipRepair »

I am curious...all thru my research of this industry and even in the Delta Kits Factory Training an insurance payment "average" amount of $65.00 was regularly thrown around.

I just got done registering with the larger networks and EVERY contract is at $50 for the first and $10 there after.

Am I missing something? Is it a regional thing? I am in CA where I figured the average would be higher... 🤔
kennycrane

Re: Insurance Chip Pay Amounts

Post by kennycrane »

Much depends on which of the entities is caring for that particular insurance company. Safelight will pay anywhere from 40 dollars for fleet work, to 60-75 for various insurance companies. Lynx is I think now 60 dollar flat rate. Harmon or whatever it is called now is 50 for the first and 10 for each one after up to 3 total. I would say that my average is closer to 60 for insurance claims.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

I just ran a report on all the repairs we did for insurance companies in the past two years. Looks like depending on the network and the insurance company we have been getting anywhere from $50 to $75 for single chips with most being $60 or $65, and $10 for each additional. So I think $65 per windshield is a conservative estimate for us but if you count the $10 second chips our "per repair" price is less than $65. I think what we receive is pretty typical but those who direct bill are getting considerably more, which factors into the average price received for rock chip repairs billed to insurance companies nation wide. We'll try to do a better job of explaining that in our training classes.

FYI, we also charge $65 + $10 for additional on cash jobs and we charge a $10 mobile service fee on most jobs, which is probably not enough.

If you have a fixed location and can line up your jobs it's not too hard to make well over $100/hr but if you are driving all over town for each insurance job $100/hr might be tough unless you are also have fleet accounts, which I highly recommend for those who are mobile. It's still possible to make a good living but it is frustrating that I was charging about the same 30 years ago when my expenses were much lower!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ExpertChipRepair

I appreciate the feedback. So fair both Lynx and SGC have stated $50 for 1st and $10 additional.

Right now I just have invoices in to HSG...and they are on Direct Deposit. How long do they usually take to pay?
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Hsg usually around a month for me average. Safelite around a month lynx 3 weeks gerber a month also. Pemco 2 weeks usually. Just keep track of all, in my experience Safelite tends to pay claims it should not every so often get their mailing address so you can send over pays back and not wait on hold for an hour. Many times Safelite sends checks with multiple claims so I just cash it then send back a business check for the overpay amounts. I found this to be the most efficient way to deal with their overpayment situation. So far it seems to be ok with them.
ExpertChipRepair

I made a point of signing up for direct deposit as they touted faster payment.

So 30 days, huh? Quite a bit longer than what they claim!
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Remember Once your first 30 days is over it does not matter. I get a check in the mail almost daily and efts from lynx hsg quite often. A guy who has been in this business a lot longer than me made a great point the other day just keep the pipeline going. After the first 30 days its is a pipeline of income. February was a tough month for me could only work 11 days due to weather. So in March I am closing a lot more cash sales to make up for that February drop in insurance billing. April will be insurance checks daily again being I was able to work regular times in March . I am now using an assumptive close on all cash sales and it works well doing approx. 50 percent more cash sales goal this month was 100 but will get there soon enough.