HELP Hand problems

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RCRNR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

HELP Hand problems

Post by RCRNR »

I have tried nitrile gloves and bandaids seem to make my hands swell quite a bit tried the mouse stuff but also made hands swell. I am using okeefes working hands daily it helps some but whenever I cut myself and get resin in the cuts I have skin issues. Right at the moment my pinky is about twice normal sized and quite painful. Any advice from anyone would be helpful.
sunshine wr

Re: HELP Hand problems

Post by sunshine wr »

I don't understand why(or how)people get resin on their hands?
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ghost rider »

First stop getting resin on your hands or anywhere on your skin or clothing. Clean everything you touch to get rid of resin build up. Even the steering wheel in your car. My daughter couldn't drive my car because she would get blisters on her hands from my steering wheel. I still get sloppy with the resin once in a while when I get in a hurry and I always pay for it. My doctor prescribed triamcinolon cream for the acid burns. If you're having that much trouble maybe you should switch to an acid free resin.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Thank you for the reply. Today I got a tetanus shot just in case and will try vinyl gloves instead of nitrile. Not sure if this will work I have a ton of resin still but may have no choice but to switch to the AF resin if this continues. Kind of weird company I used to work for never a problem and never used gloves pretty sure they used AF resin though would make sense being they had quite a few locations. What does an acid burn look like ? I am getting little lumps under my skin on my hands.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Mine start out as little bumps like you said, then turn into blisters, then just raw skin. I quit wearing gloves, they just seemed to make it worse. Tried many different types of gloves, still had better luck not wearing any and just being careful not to get any resin on me and washing my hands and tools more often.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Ghost rider you were exactly right Doctor gave me same prescription ointment as well as prednisone. Just like you they turned into nickel size blisters. Can barely type but thank you for advice and information.
Biffstermon

Post by Biffstermon »

Never have liked wearing gloves. When things are hectic, and I want to protect my fingers better I use Swingline "Rubber Finger Tips".
They are pieces of rubber that fit over your fingers up to the first knuckle, they have nubs to get good traction on whatever you use them. I used to get dried out and cracked fingers with the tools I used to use, and this would help heal them quickly while working. If you are a real slob with the resin, this might not help, but it is worth a try if you want something that you can take on and off quickly, and something to protect your fingers.
I have small hands too (Heh Heh) :roll:

Swingline #54014 Size 14 fits my thumb

Swingline #54032 Size 12 fits my index
ChampionCHIP,wsr

Post by ChampionCHIP,wsr »

this is what happened to me in2006 became an expert on bandaids blisteres like crazy. nitrile gloves till I'd 2016 no gloves no blisters, do not get it on my hands to often. I thought it was the newer formulas of the resin thru the years.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Well I think I figured out for me how to avoid hand issues. I bought 8 mil nitrile gloves from industrial supply as well as cotton liners online along with skin protection mouse from delta so far using all three has been helping. Hopefully long term this helps being I want to use the best resin possible. I would hate to ever have to give a refund and magnibond seems to work every time.
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

When I first got started in the business I would get so busy and my hands would sweat so bad in the nitrile gloves that it made doing any paper work a mess. So I stopped using gloves and in a about a year or so my hands began to crack and bleed. It was a miserable thing and nothing seemed to help it would always come right back. About 5 years ago I started doing all of my work in the shop and I started wearing nitrile gloves every time that I did a repair, it took a while but now it is only once in a while that I will have a little flare up on one finger. Proved to me that nitrile gloves are the way to go, never again will I not use them during repairs. Delta told me this from the beginning, but I had to learn the hard way.