Month 3 down

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RCRNR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Month 3 down

Post by RCRNR »

Month three no er visits so went well. I have noticed many more people with cracks now that it is getting colder. I am really trying to stay away over 6 inches but am losing out on at least 1-2 potential customers per day. Any and all tips on the best and most efficient way to repair cracks would be helpful. I am 100 percent comfortable with the drill and popping a bullseye I am uncomfortable with crack expanders or any inside pressure on the shield { may be because old company really didn't let us}. Also what is the best crack repair system out there as far as holding up and of course cosmetically looking clean and efficient. It would be great to be able to do these cracks being I have noticed it slowed a bit since September when I opened. Thanks all RCRNR
Semper Fi
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Month 3 down

Post by Semper Fi »

I am glad to hear that you are in good health or at least not visiting the ER. Thanks for asking the question, I look forward to hearing the professional advice that I am certain you will get. I am just getting into this so I don’t consider myself qualified to provide any comments related to your situation. Good luck I’m certain you will get the advice you seek.
Semper Fi - USMC
Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!
Jimmy V.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Month 3 down

Post by Brent Deines »

Another option is to work out a deal with a glass shop, or body shop, that does not do repairs. Most auto glass shops do repairs but a few still do not and many don't specialize in repairs. Most body shops still don't do repairs but do replacements and bill insurance companies.

When I had my glass shop I would have happily paid repair technicians for their referrals. The problem for me was that I did specialize in repairs so other technicians were in direct competition with me but I did have a few glass and body shops that referred me repair business because they liked me and knew I did good work. Now that we refer non-repair business to local glass and body shops and those that do not repair send us referrals.

Not paying referral fees is great if you have an agreement where you pay referral fees to a glass or body shop and they pay you for referral fees you send them it is easier to track so you know if it is a one way relationship or a mutually beneficial relationship.

Still another option is to start replacing glass as I and many other windshield repair technicians did. One thing I will caution you about here is that replacing glass takes a bit more practice than repairing glass. I always recommend getting training and then working with someone else with a good reputation for a minimum of 6-12 months. There is a lot to learn and a lot of different models of cars that present endless challenges. On the other hand you are losing business because you are turning away long cracks so it is certainly worth considering.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.