Headlight restoration mobile set up

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Aussie lights
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Headlight restoration mobile set up

Post by Aussie lights »

I'm just interested in the mobile tech set up for headlight restoration. I currently have a 25m extension lead on a wind up roll, a small box with my infinity and sanding disc and a bag with the sander ,towel and folding handle hair dryer to help with curing.
I'm just curious of what other mobile techs use.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Headlight restoration mobile set up

Post by Brent Deines »

You likely omitted some of these because they are so obvious but since there are some first timers here I would add...

Spray bottle of headlight cleaner
Spray bottle of water
Mixing cup and stir stick
Measuring beaker
Glass cleaner
Invoices, business cards and pens
Premium polishing compound
Makita polisher
Stool with wheels and tool tray
2 fans
Power strip (I like this type)
Masking tape
Canvas tarp for covering the engine compartment
Painter's plastic for covering the vehicle
Car duster
Portable generator
Portable heater
Pop up tent

I don't always find it necessary to use the premium polishing compound and Makita polisher and I know some technicians don't use them at all (I used to be one of those), but for some reason there are some lenses that just don't polish up as well as others. For those, or if I am trying to match a replaced headlight on the other side, I use the Griots random orbit for all steps up through the 3000 grit polishing disc and then switch to the Makita and premium polishing compound.

A common misconception is that using heat will speed up the curing process of Infinity 4.1 but actually it is air flow that helps it to dry faster, not heat. So a hair dryer will help but using fans works better because you don't have to hold them and they cover a larger surface area. Put a fan on each light while you are putting the rest of your tools away, filling out your invoice, etc., and the lenses will be dry by the time you are all packed up and ready to go.

No one, including myself, likes to spend more than necessary on tools and equipment but spending a few hundred bucks extra up front will make your life a whole lot easier in the long run. The only big expenses above are the portable generator capable of running the Griots sander/polisher and Makita polisher and, depending on the model, the pop up tent. Still one of the few business you can enter with everything you need for around $1000.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Aussie lights

Post by Aussie lights »

Wow , thanks for breaking it down Brent. The only reason I have a hair dryer is because it's more portable than a fan and has a cool button so it just blows cool air.
Thinking the gazebo is a good idea but I have a side awning on my ute so I can use that if I'm unable to get shade.
I think these forums are a great idea and it's good getting everyone's feed back.
Thanks
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Any pics of your swing awning? I've never had one but would like to some day. Some of them are very nice and easy for one man to operate.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

Brent Deines wrote: December 2nd, 2015, 3:24 pm You likely omitted some of these because they are so obvious but since there are some first timers here I would add...

Spray bottle of headlight cleaner
Spray bottle of water
Mixing cup and stir stick
Measuring beaker
Glass cleaner
Invoices, business cards and pens
Premium polishing compound
Makita polisher
Stool with wheels and tool tray
2 fans
Power strip (I like this type)
Masking tape
Canvas tarp for covering the engine compartment
Painter's plastic for covering the vehicle
Car duster
Portable generator
Portable heater
Pop up tent

I don't always find it necessary to use the premium polishing compound and Makita polisher and I know some technicians don't use them at all (I used to be one of those), but for some reason there are some lenses that just don't polish up as well as others. For those, or if I am trying to match a replaced headlight on the other side, I use the Griots random orbit for all steps up through the 3000 grit polishing disc and then switch to the Makita and premium polishing compound.

A common misconception is that using heat will speed up the curing process of Infinity 4.1 but actually it is air flow that helps it to dry faster, not heat. So a hair dryer will help but using fans works better because you don't have to hold them and they cover a larger surface area. Put a fan on each light while you are putting the rest of your tools away, filling out your invoice, etc., and the lenses will be dry by the time you are all packed up and ready to go.

No one, including myself, likes to spend more than necessary on tools and equipment but spending a few hundred bucks extra up front will make your life a whole lot easier in the long run. The only big expenses above are the portable generator capable of running the Griots sander/polisher and Makita polisher and, depending on the model, the pop up tent. Still one of the few business you can enter with everything you need for around $1000.
Brent, I know that I am running a few years behind on this topic, but I would like to inquire as to the reasons you offer/suggest Griot’s polisher/sander rather than the Metabo or flex.
Semper Fi - USMC
Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!
Jimmy V.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

We used to use the Metabo but they wear out too quickly and they don't stand behind them. The Flex is a really nice tool in my opinion but I think the Griots tool holds up just as well or better for less money and even comes with an extra set of brushes. When we started buying Griots we had some durability issues but when we told them what the problem was they addressed the issue by replacing plastic gears with metal, which really impressed me.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

Brent, thanks for the information. I greatly appreciate it.
Semper Fi - USMC
Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!
Jimmy V.
nmwest99

Post by nmwest99 »

Thank you for posting this information - it is very helpful and makes our job out in the field easier!
Sincerely, Neal