Intro & Open to Suggestions

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ExpertChipRepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Intro & Open to Suggestions

Post by ExpertChipRepair »

I have recently been considering starting a WIndshield Repair Business due to a need to "shift gears" for medical reasons.

I am a Desert Storm Veteran and was injured at the time so I have some physical limitations.

Most recently the VA fitted me with a new custom leg brace that prevents me from bending my right leg more than 60 Degrees.

I am currently retired from a Career in Commercial Lending and have spent the last few years (since retiring) doing Signs (Art was my 1st love) however its no longer possible to climb ladders if I cannot sufficiently bend my leg. Doing nothing isnt an option as I would likely die of boredom.

So, at 52yrs old...am ready to dive in headfirst.

I am leaning towards a Mobile Fleet & Ride Share Windshield Repair Service rather than the Tent Model. I have a 2016 Can Am F3 L SS reverse trike thst I intend to use as a response vehicle

I use Lyft quite frequently and every driver I have spoken with has indicated that rock chips are an issue and most dont have time to go drop off their car to get it fixed. I am envisioning going to them on their off time.

As I have a graphic arts background I have already built a website, designed marketing collateral etc.

What start up experiences can you share that might be beneficial?

What advice can you offer on the Pro's & Con's of each business model?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Intro & Open to Suggestions

Post by Brent Deines »

Welcome! Read posts by forum member RCRNR! He is just a few months ahead of you in starting a new business and doing very well dispite some serious challenges, mainly because of his attitude and work ethic, which is really what it takes to succeed in this or any other business.

I and many other forum members have shared our startup experiences as well and all of us have a slightly different preference for target markets and business models.

You'll note that some forum members, like screenman, focus exclusively on fleet business, while others target customers who's insurance covers the cost of the repair. If you do go after UBER and Lyft business you will have the advantage of knowing that they all have full coverage insurance so in most cases there will be no out of pocket expense for those customers, which is a good selling point.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ExpertChipRepair

Post by ExpertChipRepair »

Thanks Brent. I will check out RCRNR's posts as suggested.
Brent Deines wrote: November 15th, 2018, 11:01 am Welcome! Read posts by forum member RCRNR! He is just a few months ahead of you in starting a new business and doing very well dispite some serious challenges, mainly because of his attitude and work ethic, which is really what it takes to succeed in this or any other business.

I and many other forum members have shared our startup experiences as well and all of us have a slightly different preference for target markets and business models.

You'll note that some forum members, like screenman, focus exclusively on fleet business, while others target customers who's insurance covers the cost of the repair. If you do go after UBER and Lyft business you will have the advantage of knowing that they all have full coverage insurance so in most cases there will be no out of pocket expense for those customers, which is a good selling point.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

From a retired Marine, thank you for your service! I wish you the best for sucess in your new endeavor. I too, am looking to get started in the business. Good luck going forward!
Semper Fi - USMC
Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!
Jimmy V.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

Expertchiprepair I just pm’d you for some info on business insurance.
Semper Fi - USMC
Jimmy V.
Cfkdaddy

Post by Cfkdaddy »

I just looked up insuremyhomebiz.com which goes through Lindbergh insurance. For a bare bones policy in WA for Windshield Repair they quoted me 171.00 for the year. Is that typical for other states or high/low?

Curious how everyone else is handling getting business liability insurance.

Thanks,

Chad
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

That is a great price I use them as well though I added Garage keepers 50k and my tools and stuff 10k and of course 500k gli , the mall prefers 1 mil gli but was ok with what I carry. Good Luck you will not regret this decision I count my blessings every day.
Semper Fi

Post by Semper Fi »

Update: I just received my certificate from Lindbergh and it cost me $439 in Lindale, TX. 500k BLI with a 50k shop keepers and 10k tools. So you got a pretty sweet quote.
Semper Fi - USMC
Jimmy V.