Accidentally drilling all the way through

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jdn
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Accidentally drilling all the way through

Post by jdn »

Has anybody ever accidentally drilled all the way through the first layer of glass. And if so is it still possible to do a quality repair?
kmx321

Re: Accidentally drilling all the way through

Post by kmx321 »

I'm not sure if you mean drilling through the entire windshield or just the first layer. The windshield has 3 layers. It's basically 2 glass layers (inside and outside) and in the middle is a plastic layer. I've never drilled all the way through all 3 layers but I do drill past the first one. I've only been doing this for 6 months so it might happen to me in the future. The person who taught me wsr said that it could be done but it requires more work. I can't remember the steps so I know I can't be of much help. I just know that it CAN be done.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

There is never a need or a time to drill into the PVB by going through the outer glass, a very big no no as it leaves a horrible scar.

Practise more and buy the Delta slide hammer with the built in measuring tool.

I may sound angry but I see way to much of that poor technque over here.
jdn

Post by jdn »

Thanks for the replies but my question was this. If you accidentally drill all the way through the first layer of glass is it still possible to do a good repair. If someone drills all the way through the entire windshield they need to have their drill taken away. Haha!
Jtmac

Post by Jtmac »

Your resin will take the flow of least resistance and more than likely make an ugly flowering figure on top of the PVB layer. You may still be able to fill the break, but it most likely will not be a quality looking repair.
screenman

Post by screenman »

You can do a strong repair but you will see the scaring on the PVB so not a good repair.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

I agree with all the above responses, but that being said , what is the "definition" of a windshield repair? Is it not to prevent the windshield from cracking further and not needing it to be replaced/pass State inspection?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

It happens to me once in a great while. Usually when I get used to using a dull burr and then put in a new one and forget I don't have to drill so long. It's not a real biggy, just fill as usual but you likely will have a small scar where the drill hole is that wouldn't be there otherwise. It used to be taught that you drill every one to the laminate and have seen a lot of people do exactly that. That's why the slide hammer is so useful, drill part way and then pop, you get a larger area for the resin to run into the chip and you haven't damaged the laminate. You don't have to drill bullseyes or something with a bullseye in the center. I only drill on very tight breaks or if a crack line is not filling and I have to fill from the other end. If you think you may have to drill but aren't sure, drill the hole and then try to fill, if that doesn't work then you can pop it with the slide hammer to open it up. If you use a very small burr the hole will be hardly noticeable.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

jdn wrote: August 10th, 2018, 6:48 pm Has anybody ever accidentally drilled all the way through the first layer of glass. And if so is it still possible to do a quality repair?
Yes it is still possible to do a quality repair.

Like everyone else, I do my best not to drill through the first layer of glass and cannot remember the last time that happened to me, but I have to tell you, when I was trained 31 years ago just about everyone drilled all the way through the first layer. The result is typically that the drill hole is more visible but assuming you drilled in the correct spot the repair should be every bit as strong and back when that was standard practice I never had any complaints from the customer about how it looked.

Don't make a habit of it but in my humble opinion if it happens it is not the end of the world, just cosmetically not as good as it could have been. To me a much bigger sin is not completely replacing all of the visible air with resin. We see a lot of completed repair that do not look like they were even attempted. The only way we know at times is because there is resin in the drill hole or pit area. That kind of repair gives us all a bad name.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.