Getting into dealerships

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
A.johnchecki
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Getting into dealerships

Post by A.johnchecki »

Hello everyone, i have recently started a windshield repair company and have been working with used car lots to repair their windshields. I am looking to grow slowly by getting into a new car dealership so there’s a constant flow of cars. Is there any advice on how to approach a dealership to ask for business, also is there any specific insurance i need to operate the business at a new car dealership?
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Getting into dealerships

Post by ghost rider »

I have gotten most of my dealer accounts with a free demo. You must be able to do top quality repairs to work these accounts. If you cannot do very good repairs you need to get better or stick to the budget used car lots. Who you give the demo to is also key and it changes with each dealership. Small town stores I try to find the owner. Bigger stores you will need to find out who is in charge of reconditioning used cars. It could be the used car mgr. It could be the service mgr. It could be the detail mgr. Don't let a salesman talk you into doing a repair, most of them don't have the authorization and they will get you in trouble. If you find a salesman that likes your work, get him to refer you to whoever is in charge.
I can't ever remember being asked for insurance but it's a good idea anyway. I have a liability policy that's required by the insurance companies. Your auto coverage probably has some coverage for small home based business. Check with your agent.
A.johnchecki

Post by A.johnchecki »

I appreciate the info! Do you know what dealerships normally charge businesses to operate in their express/ service lanes? I want to be able to go to whoever is in charge with a plan or contract stating the exact amount each of us make per repair or what the dealership will make off of my business (kickbacks and commission).

Thanks again!
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ghost rider »

I guess we are talking about two different plans here. I was explaining how to do work for the dealership on their used cars. It sounds like you want to set up and wait for retail customers to come to you. I don't do this. Even at a busy dealership you won't see much more than 100 cars a day in the service drive. I can walk a used car lot and see that many cars in 20 minutes. If you get to know the key people in the dealership and show them you can do quality work they will refer their customers to you, you won't have to sit around and wait for them and I don't give "kickbacks". These guys like having someone they can trust to work on their customers cars. Get out there and walk the lots. Tell them it's an extra service you provide at no charge. Give them a list of all the vehicles that have damage and ask which ones they want fixed today. At first try to get them to see a before and after. Once you've built up trust they will say "just go fix them". None of this matters if you can't do a good quality repair. If you're doing poor repairs you will have to stick with price gouging and kickbacks. It's much easier to sell quality.
A.johnchecki

Post by A.johnchecki »

Again, thanks for that advice. I believe you have changed route my business may go. There are plenty of used car lots where I’m from and after seeing your last post it seems more money is to be made with used car dealerships rather than new cars.