Toyota prius windshield cracking out?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
New2chiprepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Toyota prius windshield cracking out?

Post by New2chiprepair »

Hello,
I attended the certification coarse not too long ago and I remember them mentioning that prius windshields crack out easier than most other windshields. I was wondering who experienced this themselves and if it cracked out most of the time. I'm asking because I had someone with a prius come through a shop I work at and I didn't want to work on it because of this possability.
Clarity Glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Toyota prius windshield cracking out?

Post by Clarity Glass »

I don't treat a Prius windshield any differently than other models. For all vehicles be careful of chips at edge of w/s due to more stress there, pay attention to temperature of w/s and resins, and follow procedures to set up injector. When I started in the business 15 years ago, the first six months I was hesitant to do long cracks. Added confidence will come as you perform quality repairs daily. Crack outs are going to happen!! If your cautious and follow proper procedures they should be a rare occurrence.
kennycrane
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by kennycrane »

I have repaired many of the Toyota Prius windshields, haven't noticed any difference in them compared to any other windshield. As with any just proceed with caution.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

We have had a number of late model Prius windshields come into our shop and the owners say they crack super quickly once they are chipped, often before the customer can get them to us. We have also noticed long cracks seem to be more volatile, which led us to do some additional research. Apparently there have been an unusually high occurance of owner complaints of Prius windshields cracking. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... suit.shtml

Naturally we like to pass that kind of info on to our customers, especially those new to the business, because if the first windshield you repair cracks out it takes awhile to get your confidence back, but I agree with Clarity that with enough experience you should have very few crackouts and should not be afraid to repair a windshield on any make or model.

Glad to hear not everyone has noticed any difference in the Prius glass. Of course 50% of all cars in Eugene are Prius', so maybe that has something to do with it. :D
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.