New and Self employed

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
KCBen
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

New and Self employed

Post by KCBen »

Thanks to Delta for having this forum and all the information that comes with it. I plan on ordering the EZ 425D or the EZ 450D not sure. I like the 450D because it comes with a hood protector but anyway, I was wondering other than showing up in Eugene OR what other ways can I get the Delta training, I am thinking that it would be way different then the you tube videos if not then I guess I answered my own question. I am retired and located in Austin Texas, if anyone here is in the same location I would like to make some business friends. Very excited main reason for my excitement is my wife supports my latest adventure. Can't wait to get my kit and start practicing I am thinking local junk yard, glad to be apart of this forum and maybe sometime in the near future I will be able to give out some good advice.

Ben
kennycrane

Re: New and Self employed

Post by kennycrane »

Welcome to the Forum! You are definitely starting out on a course that you will not regret. When I got my Delta training they were in Arlington, Tx. that made it very convenient but I am not sure how often that they come that way. By all means though even if you go to Oregon for the training you will be happy that you did. Go to a glass store and purchase a couple pieces of laminated glass, somewhere on this forum I believe is directions on how to build a stand out of pvc, when you get your new kit Practice, Practice, and Practice some more following Delta advice, there are numerous videos on Deltas website that you can view. Again Welcome.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

If time and money are not a huge issue for you, then by all means, learn by trial and error for a few months on junk windshields. But if this is going to be your bread and butter, you should put some money out there on the front end and go to Eugene to get trained. You will learn very quickly things that will take months to understand by trial and error...even via videos (but I also graduated with honors from college because I went to class 100%). I am a hands-on learner. I highly recommend the class, but if you spend a summer in the junk yard you'll get the hang of it. Best of luck!!!!
KCBen

Post by KCBen »

You know how people say knowledge is power well to much knowledge or just to much info is not good for me, I saw a you tube video where a glas weld tech was using his equipment to fix a bulls eye and he cured the resin while it was still under pressure, looks like the right thing to do but I have not even done one repair yet. does anyone cure while still under pressure using the delta kit. I really want a delta but after seeing the video I am uncertain. I like the fact that delta seems to have more help for their customer, and the kit I plan on getting has to bridges with injectors just in case its needed. By the way the info you all put out and the videos that are on you tube about this industry amazing, seems to me like everyone is just trying to help out the next guy trying to get into the business.

Thanks for any positive feedback.
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

I am a Delta man, I cure under pressure often. Usually on larger breaks. sometimes it is all but impossible to get all of the trapped air out again especially on larger breaks when I see on the vacuum cycle that there is still air trapped I will add more resin to make sure It is plenty and then cure under pressure. Works great for me in those instances.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I almost always cure under pressure unless it is a long crack.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Can you cure under pressure using Delta Kits equipment? Of course! And far be it for me to tell you not to if you you get the results you and your customers desire by doing so. I just think it is very important to tell you there is no "need" to cure under pressure with a Delta Kits system.

I believe that if you have properly filled the damage there is no need to cure under pressure, and I believe that curing star breaks or cracks under pressure can lead to a less stable repair, so I very rarely ever do. Always remove the injector from the impact point in the pressure cycle and even the largest of breaks should fill and stay filled with resin. But now I am just repeating what I have already stated multiple times on this forum. If you want to read more opinions from both sides on this subject, search this board for "curing under pressure".
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

KCBen, let me make it easier for you, ever hear that phrase, "KEEP IT SIMPLE" ???

Then why buy a more expensive and more complicated system, I bought from Delta's competition years ago, l regretted it later. 

Ever hear of people creating a problem and then only them having the solution so it makes them look smarter.? its just a the sales pitch.

Delta's system works and you have all the proof you need, why do you think people like Delta, its because of its simple, a low cost, top notch help from the company and the help on this Forum, plus a 30 day money back policy, who could say fairer than that. 

Keep it Simple.
KCBen

Post by KCBen »

Real quick story called a guy down town Austin that has a glass repair and replacement business to see if I could have a piece of glass to practice on, he said yea come on down , I said how much for the glass he said no nothing you can have it to practice. he said you never know we might do business together some time I said to my self wow pretty cool. Went down to the local guy here in Pflugerville to ask him some questions about the business very nice gave me his card and was just very nice and helpful. He even let me take a look at the kit he was using to do repairs we talked about the spring in the injector and how that was one of my concerns. Made my choice not because I think one is better I am sure both are good, but because of all the folks that I have had positive contact with.
Thanks
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

KCBen, thank you for sharing those experiences with us! Whether they use Delta Kits products or not I sure like to hear that people in our industry are friendly and helpful. When I first got into this business it seemed like competitors and potential competitors were not very friendly toward one another. Now I am on pretty good terms with my competitors, and so are many of my employees. We help each other out from time to time and try to work together to make this a better industry for everyone. Nice to see glass shops are doing the same.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.