Best Brand windshield

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Turbo

Best Brand windshield

Post by Turbo »

Long time member, not many posts. The windshield cracked on my most cared for 1986 g-body Regal. I am a mechanically inclined person so I proceeded to remove the cracked windshield. Trying to find a new replacement of top quality is hard. The old one has tint across the top. What would be the best brand and how would I be able to get one?
kennycrane
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Best Brand windshield

Post by kennycrane »

Probably hard to find one period. Car is 32 years old, many times when I have a customer with a car that old I am simply not able to obtain it through my distributers anyway. Many have to obtain one at a Salvage yard, However from my experience all glass from the most expensive to the cheapest, chips and cracks when a small rock from the roadway hits it. :o
Dempsterglass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Dempsterglass »

Pilkington would be manufacturer I would go with and they have the glass available still. However I would recommend having a qualified tech do the install. For that year I would definitely do a full strip to base paint. Prep, primer and use correct height set blocks so your moldings fit correctly to glass when installed. Also don’t fordgt new clips for moldings.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

Good advice from Dempster glass, regarding fitment. The only thing I would add is the new glass may have a different thickness to original so do a dry run for shape and trim gap to get correct height and ideally, while the pu is still in its workable phase, fit glass and trims and ease glass out to trims then fit the spacers in for a good fit.