Insurance for Windshield Repair Technicians

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
calexander
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Insurance for Windshield Repair Technicians

Post by calexander »

Hello,

I have been writing insurance policies for Windshield Repair technicians (in ALL states) for over 10 years through RLI Insurance Company. The majority of the technicians that I encounter are typically home based and are typically mobile - they go to the customer OR they set up a tent in a parking lot for example. The greatest need that I hear is that the insurance referral networks usually want to see some evidence of General Liability coverage - $500K is the amount that I usually hear that is required.

Over the years, there are other insurance "components" that the technicians have found value in. Business Property covers the tools and equipment wherever the business is conducted. Garage Keepers Coverage is essentially coverage for the customer's vehicle while in the possession of the technician - think if they throw you the keys and while the vehicle is in your possession a tree falls on it OR you back it up and cause damage to the vehicle.

I have helped a lot of folks over the years and wanted to provide a little clarity on some of the requirements, as well as, some of the value that a Home Business Insurance policy for a Windshield Repair technician will provide.

If anyone might have any questions for me, I would be more than happy to discuss.

Thanks!

Chris Alexander
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Insurance for Windshield Repair Technicians

Post by Brent Deines »

Thanks Chris! As you know we frequently field questions about insurance. Nice to have an insurance professional on the forum to answer some of questions we here most often. Are you licensed to sell insurance in all 50 states?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
calexander

Post by calexander »

Hi Brent,

Yes sir - licensed in all states.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Chris, approximately how many policies have you written for windshield repair technicians?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
calexander

Post by calexander »

Brent,

We tend to write a lot of policies for start-up ventures - folks just starting in the industry who realize that this is a requirement through most of the referral networks.

I have been selling these types of policies for about 10 years and I would guess that we have help several hundred windshield repair technicians over that time - granted some of them start and stop policies over the course of their business life BUT we are happy to assist in any situation.

Thanks!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Sorry for the 20 questions but I haven't met anyone else selling insurance in all 50 states. What would you say the percentage of your windshield repair clients who choose liability only vs liability + garage keepers?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
calexander

Post by calexander »

Brent,

I would say the percentage of windshield repair technicians that carry the Garage Keeper's option is about 50/50.

Garage Keepers Coverage is essentially coverage for the customer's vehicle while in the possession of the technician - think if they throw you the keys and while the vehicle is in your possession a tree falls on it OR you back it up and cause damage to the vehicle.

Even if the owner of the vehicle is always right there while you are fixing the windshield, there could still be random times when you take possession and the Garage Keeper's Coverage option would be a good add-on to consider.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I'm sure every state is different and maybe every policy is different, but can you give a ball park figure of what a $500,000 general liability policy would cost a windshield repair technician?

About how much extra to add garage keepers?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
calexander

Post by calexander »

The majority of the polices which include General Liability and Business Property coverage typically range to about $200-$300 for the year.

Garage Keepers Coverage is offered in all states EXCEPT Florida and the price is contingent on state and the limits that are selected. For $30K in GKC, the prices start around $130 for the year - this would be on top of the annual premium for Liability and Property.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That should be really helpful to windshield repair forum members, especially those just starting out. Frankly I don't know if those rates are good or bad so I hope some of our members will chime in with how much they are paying for similar coverage.

Thanks!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.