12V Moisture Evaporator

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
fhburris
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

12V Moisture Evaporator

Post by fhburris »

This is a new tool for me, please tell me your experiences with it. Problems with split-outs? Which breaks it works best with? Which to avoid? Special techniques for certain kinds of breaks? Any thing else from your experiences... Thanks!
kennycrane

Re: 12V Moisture Evaporator

Post by kennycrane »

I would not be without one. It is perfect for getting moisture out of a break, you just have to be careful not to let it get to hot. I will start out in center of break depending on size but then I move it around the outside of break as well so as to evenly heat the break, 1 to 2 inches around the break especially if there are legs coming off of break. I usually count in my head 20 to 25 seconds, and I always watch real closely just in case a crack wanted to run. If I think there is water in the break because of rain or a car wash I may repeat 2 or 3 times just to make sure there is no moisture. When the break is in the tinted or blackened part of glass have to be careful because it will heat up a lot quicker. A must have is the Delta tool for sucking the heat out of the glass after you have heated it, so you can go to work on the glass rather quickly.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Great tool whenused with the heat sink tool.

I work differently from Kenny as I work outside in chasing the moisture out, I feel the the heat expands the glass which shuts the damage up, so by squeezing the ouside it chases it out of the cooler middle area. Living in a wet country I have carried out thousands of repairs using this tool, befor changing over I used a micro gas torch, the Drystar in my opinion is faster. But as with all new things I did take a little nudge to convert.

I doubt either of us are wrong just different.
chad

Post by chad »

Screenman, did you say that you look me to hear from the outter part of the crack to push the moisture out of the center of the break?
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

screenman wrote:Great tool whenused with the heat sink tool.

I work differently from Kenny as I work outside in chasing the moisture out, I feel the the heat expands the glass which shuts the damage up, so by squeezing the ouside it chases it out of the cooler middle area. Living in a wet country I have carried out thousands of repairs using this tool, befor changing over I used a micro gas torch, the Drystar in my opinion is faster. But as with all new things I did take a little nudge to convert.

I doubt either of us are wrong just different.
I know that this has been a few months back, but in re-reading this I think that screenman has it right. Only makes since that you would start heating on the outside of break pushing any moisture out of impact hole. I guess that the way that I have been doing works, but I am going to have to rethink this one. Thanks screenman