Three Windshields Later, Still Not Satisfied

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
bdb97
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Three Windshields Later, Still Not Satisfied

Post by bdb97 »

Sorry this is long - skip to the two or three paragraphs if you don't want to read it all!

We bought a 2013 Chevy Malibu this last December. There was a crack in the windshield, so part of the deal was that the dealership would replace the windshield. That was the ONLY problem with the original windshield, was a pit in the windshield about the size of a quarter. It was distracting at the time, but had we known what was about to come our way I would have kept that windshield in a heartbeat.

Anyway, the dealership replaced the windshield, and immediately after driving off the lot, we noticed the windshield was very distorted. There was a blur/wavy-like/mirage-like distortion across the entire right two-thirds of the passenger side. It was especially noticeable when making turns. So, we took it back, and they agreed to replace it again.

Two weeks later, new windshield gets in, they install it, and here we are driving off the lot again, only to discover that this windshield is even WORSE than the first replacement. And mind you, I'm not talking minor distortion around the corners of the windshield - I'm talking below the mirror, in my line of sight, the entire windshield; enough so that it gave a family member a headache when they were driving it to be sure if we needed to take it back AGAIN.

We did take it back, but as we figured they were not willing to cover the full price of a third replacement. So, they agreed to cover half - and we took it to an actual windshield repair shop locally in hopes of getting a better result. So about a week ago, the THIRD windshield gets in, they replace it. And yet again, it's distorted, across the entire windshield - and actually worse right in front of the driver's seat this time.

I'm at a loss here in terms of what to do. Do we just need to train our eyes to deal with it? Is this normal in all windshields now? OR should I go back and go for a FOURTH windshield replacement in a month? It is an after-market windshield, and to my knowledge, every windshield we've gotten has been from the same manufacturer because that is all they ever quoted us on. I believe it is an XYG windshield? I've done research and heard a lot of complaints about this kind of windshield. Obviously I didn't know a lot about windshields going into this but sure learning a lot. Had I known I would have asked for a different kind.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just very frustrating. We've had windshields replaced before and have NEVER had this problem. Any recommendations on what to do or another type of windshield to go for? Thanks so much.
sunshine wr

Re: Three Windshields Later, Still Not Satisfied

Post by sunshine wr »

Get a shop to order you a PPG Glass. With PPG you shouldn't have problems. If you give you location someone here may be able to steer you to a quality shop.
bdb97

Post by bdb97 »

Hays, Kansas
Is there typically a big price difference there? That doesn't really matter, quality>quantity but just wondering.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

The next time you go for a replacement windshield, insist on a OE ( Original Equipment) windshield. Why? - the glass will be a perfect fit for your car and the glass quality will be high.
How do I know it is an OE windshield? - look at your doorglasses - usually, the markings on it will tell you the glass manufacturer and possibly a car logo ( in this case, Chevrolet ) - check the markings and the logo on the new winshield BEFORE fitting commences. Finally, inspect the glass BEFORE fitting, to check if distortion is present. Get them to hold the glass at the approximate angle the windshield will be at when fitted and look through the glass from the position you would be driving.
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

I installed an XYG windshield #DW02007 in a Dodge Pickup last week only to see as I pulled it out of the shop that in the center of the windscreen there was about a Quarter size circle that was a highly magnified distortion. It was small yet very distracting. Had to replace with another. The problem is that the Glass company will reimburse the Glass expense but not the labor involved, disappointing to say the least. My distributor told me that they have had some problems with that brand. I will pay close attention before I install that brand again. But all in all most glass meets specific standards and is good.
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

Also customers will have to be willing to spend more money for an OE windshield, of which I find most people want to cut corners on their windshield expense. But most aftermarket windshields as I said, meet certain standards and should be good.