Scratch Removal

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ternaP
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Scratch Removal

Post by ternaP »

Does anyone do scratch removal? We do them and are very successful with them. Takes practice and technique but it pays off.
ChampionCHIP,wsr
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Scratch Removal

Post by ChampionCHIP,wsr »

i also do scratch removal . probly 1-10 a week.. agree it does take training and practice but well worth it
screenman

Post by screenman »

I used to do quite a bit back in the early nineties, I did not like doing it and found for me it paid less than a repair per hour and was harder work. I did tv rental companies, shop fronts and other types of customers away from vehicles.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

I enjoy scratch removal...if I can't reach it with my hand I grab my hook tool out my tool box! Works great for that hard to reach area in between your shoulder blades.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Dave M wrote:I enjoy scratch removal...if I can't reach it with my hand I grab my hook tool out my tool box! Works great for that hard to reach area in between your shoulder blades.
You're on a roll Dave! I like that one almost as much as I like your recent post on another topic: "I also used a machine that out weighed all injectors.....worked great but had to stop using it because it's 15 lb. weight was damaging my shoulder from carrying it around from one repair to another!"

Funny stuff! :lol:
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Thanks Brent,
Probably should have posted both of those in the water cooler but I couldn't resist! We're all too serious most of the time.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I couldn't agree with you more, smiles and laughs go a long way to living a happy life.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Biffstermon

Post by Biffstermon »

I used to do a lot of scratch repairs on Auto glass but now I believe The surface of Auto glass has changed. My personal opinion is that scratches are not occurring as often as they were from wiper blade failure, and what I was using to polish them, Cerium Oxide, is not doing the job. And, one of my polishing pads is leaving tiny scratches behind. The results I am getting are not nearly as good as I was 10 years ago.
I also work on plate glass scratches from vandalism and other causes, and have noticed that some types of glass polishes up better than others. Don't get me started on factory coated glass.
What I am wondering is, what are you polishing? What are you using? What does it look like when you are done? If you could help me see the light I would be most grateful.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

We stick to windshield scratches and frankly don't do many of them. I haven't noticed that it is any harder than it was 10 years ago if using the right cerium oxide and right polishing pad but it is a lot more work than windshield repair and always has been in my opinion. My techs don't really enjoy it, customers don't like to pay the premium price we charge for it, and we don't really "need" the the extra work at this point in the game so it's not something we push. I did a lot more of them when I first started out and needed the work and extra income to fill my time and my pockets.

Many of the technicians that I speak with who do a lot of scratch removal focus more on plate glass. In addition to the glass being more expensive and the scratches often smaller, contractors who either installed the scratched glass or scratched it during installation are often more willing to pony up for the cost than individual car owners. If I was going to specialize in scratch removal I think that is the direction I would go.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
LukeGlasswalker

Post by LukeGlasswalker »

Biffstermon wrote:I used to do a lot of scratch repairs on Auto glass but now I believe The surface of Auto glass has changed. My personal opinion is that scratches are not occurring as often as they were from wiper blade failure, and what I was using to polish them, Cerium Oxide, is not doing the job. And, one of my polishing pads is leaving tiny scratches behind. The results I am getting are not nearly as good as I was 10 years ago.
I also work on plate glass scratches from vandalism and other causes, and have noticed that some types of glass polishes up better than others. Don't get me started on factory coated glass.
What I am wondering is, what are you polishing? What are you using? What does it look like when you are done? If you could help me see the light I would be most grateful.
i do alot of scratch removal, usually 3-10 windshields a day and some windshields have multiple scratches on them so i wouldnt know how many actual scratches. we used to use cerium oxide mixed with water and turned into a paste with a signle pad but now we use a new system with multiple pads and different kinds of compounds. im new to this forum so i wont mention brands, but the cerium oxide (when used right) is absolutely fantastic and fast for light scratches and scuffs, but not able to get the deep scratches out in my experience. the new system we use that involves multiple pads of different grits, followed by a polishing process takes more time but gets the deep scratches out. both processes require practice and skill but when done right leave your windshields looking and feeling like a brand new, never scratched windshield. if your pad is leaving tiny scratches behind, it most likely being caused by either:
1)its worn down and you need a new one
2) your not keeping your pad flat to the glass and the edge of your pad is digging into the glass OR
3) (sorry but i gotta throw it out there) you forgot to actually put the pad on the drill and your just velcro-ing your glass wondering wtf is goin on(ive seen people do it)

also remember not to overheat the glass, expecially windshields which have lamination in between the glass that can get distorted