Advice for beginner?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RonLove
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Advice for beginner?

Post by RonLove »

I start my journey this week and so far it seems to be starting off slow. I have done some practice work and also did a demo for a car lot. The used car lot owner was happy with my work and said he would gather around cars and then call me. I have left them at other lots, and seem to get a "I might give you a call". Since there are not a ton of small lots, tomorrow I will try the big ones, but I doubt they will need service. I have been leaving cards all over, gas stations, bars, tire shops, mechanics, etc.. I have also been going out and setting up with my banner, but I do not have a tent. People look over but then they keep driving. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, if anything. Maybe I am just expecting more immediate results, is this normal to have zero response at this point? I have my cards at about 17 local locations currently, by tomorrow I will have them at about 30+ and I do not just drop them and run, I explain my reason for being there and how I could benefit them. Any thoughts would be a big help, thank you.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Advice for beginner?

Post by screenman »

I had to call on my biggest customer about 15 times before I got my first job, they then spent over $1700 a month with me for 17 years. My second largest at least 10 times, they spend about $1200 a month but only take about 8 hours a month to service.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Don't pre-judge by thinking they won't need service. You know they need it, they know they need it. Like screenman points out some of the best accounts take effort to get. But when you do they are worth it. Timing also plays a big part. You could walk onto a lot tomorrow morning & be working. Never know. The places that said they'll call you probably won't so check back every couple of weeks.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Most get discouraged in the beginning but you have to remember that you are likely just one of many guys dropping off cards hoping to pick up windshield repair business and windshield repair technicians are not the only ones dropping off cards at businesses. Screenman made an excellent point. I don't think I ever got a good customer by showing up once, I had to show up over and over again. Most business owners don't have time to mess with everyone who leaves them a card so you have to build a relationship with them or at least figure out a way to let them know you are not like all the other fly by night entrepreneurs who spent $10 on a box of business cards. It's the same with signs, banners and tents. Seeing it once is not enough but if someone notices your banner every day on their way to work for 6 months they begin to see it as something more permanent.

I recommend you try calling on the same businesses at the same time of the day and the same day of the week on a regular schedule whenever possible. If a business owner knows you are going to show up at 9am Monday morning every other week he knows he can count on you. Then when when not so reliable Joe doesn't show up to repair his windshields you are the next call he makes.

Cold calling is a lot of work and not much fun for most of us but it is something you have to do and do consistently, at least in the beginning. You may find that 5% or even 10% of your cold calls eventually end up in a sale but in the beginning 1% is probably more realistic. Boris was right on the money when he said not to pre-judge. No does not always mean no in this business so never let your feelings get hurt.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

Just to add to what Brent and Screenman said, Patience is key, not likely to create a big business overnight. Work at doing Quality work. Purchase Quality tools, With the right training and hard work you can do a better job than the others in most cases. I pride myself at being the best in the business, with that and then word of mouth your business will grow! I hope you the Best. :D