insurance billing checklist benefits?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
RonLove
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

insurance billing checklist benefits?

Post by RonLove »

I am in the process of ordering my kit and working my way down the insurance billing checklist, which seems to have great potential. Though it looks like it will help, can someone please explain what the benefits will be of completing these steps? I know I will be able to bill insurance obviously, but what else? I am registering as an affiliate, etc.. will this help bring me more clients? Thank you.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: insurance billing checklist benefits?

Post by screenman »

Although I am no help to you guys over the pond on this subject, I would like to point out that I have made a great living from this trade for 28 years and for the last 10 of those have not billed an insurance company.
Boris

Post by Boris »

When you can bill ins co's you can offer people "free" repairs. Some TPN's will call you w/ jobs. I don't think you can make a living from that alone but it could be a few bucks a week anyway. The downside is having to travel just for one repair. When you get a few accounts then you can plan a route & do the ins jobs along the way.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

You may get a little referral business from the networks but I wouldn't count on it. Not everyone will agree with me on this but in my opinion the biggest reason to sign up with the networks is because you don't want to give your customers any excuses to choose a competitor over you. Here are a few reasons I personally may choose one company over another.

If I had my windshield repaired by another company in the past and they billed my insurance company so there was no out of pocket expense to me but found that your company did not offer insurance billing I would keep looking. So in my opinion you should have the capability to bill insurance companies even if that is not your primary business model.

If I was new in town and needed my windshield repaired I would Google "windshield repair eugene or" and if your company's name did not show up on the 1st page you would not get my business. So in my opinion you need a website and you need to figure out through SEO and/or SEM how to make sure your company shows up on the 1st page if at all possible.

If I did not have insurance and wanted to pay for the repair myself but you did not take credit cards I would call one of your competitors because I rarely carry cash or checks. So in my opinion you should accept credit cards.

If I owned a fleet of trucks and got a quote from you for repairing all the windshields in my fleet but you did not offer a 30 day billing option I would not do business with your company. So in my opinion you should have an open account option for stable businesses, government agencies, etc.

If you walked into my office in a grubby t-shirt and no business cards I would call your competitor regardless of how good your price is. So in my opinion you should look, speak and act in a professional manner.

That's not to say you cannot run a successful business without doing any of these things. As screenman shared he has made a good living without billing insurance companies and I know windshield repair business owners that don't do any of the things above that do just fine. I just think it's much easier, especially when you are first starting out, to give your customers as many options as possible. Make it so easy and pleasurable to do business with you that price becomes their 2nd or 3rd concern rather than their 1st. People will come back to you because of the quality of your work but you have to figure out how to get them to choose you over the competition in the first place.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
RonLove

Post by RonLove »

Thank you all for your great responses! I like the fact that the things you mentioned are ones I am currently keeping in mind and taking seriously. I know image is everything! Both physical such as myself, my equipment, the way I present all of this, as well as my digital presence , website, etc.. I registered BrokeWindow.com and I am trying to give it a professional, welcoming feel. I want to allow customers to contact me and set appointments, but this is a work in progress at this point. I know time is money so I will continue to develop the site as quickly as possible. I registered our business and got our license and decided that since the cost is so low, I will be signing up to bill insurance just because without that option I feel I would lose 50% of my potential clients, depending on how you look at it. I think that is awesome that you are able to do so well without insurance jobs, that is a good indicator that you have a positive reputation. I am signing up with all of the networks, even if I do not get any job referrals I will still be extending my possibilities by doing this. I am ordering marketing materials, business cards, etc.. looking into my tent and banners, as well as dealing with every directory i can think of such as yelp, etc.. as far as seo, since launching recently, i have received a multitude of calls offering me services for $99 a month, so for now I will work hard to boost my results and see where I end up on the day i officially open my doors, and see if i need any additional seo adjustments made. I went on Fiverr and paid for a professional logo design, i suggest for business cards, always go glossy!! I will keep everyone posted as I progress, the partner networks are starting to contact me back and I should be able to make some movement here soon.. Thanks again!
RonLove

Post by RonLove »

oh also I am utilizing google analytics and some other platforms to either monitor or boost my performance...