Location vs Mobile

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
curtisdscott
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Location vs Mobile

Post by curtisdscott »

I just got started with my own wsr business last month....which turned out to be really crazy because I'm right outside of Houston and it rained most of the month! LOL!!!!
But on the days it didn't rain I had calls come in from a 12 ft banner I set up in an empty lot as you leave town! was really cool! That and the signs I have on my car.
So I have decided to go mobile....

I'd really like to hear from some of you about being totally mobile vs having a tent location. Pros? Cons?
And if I am just doing mobile...ideas on getting started with a bang??? (I really need about 15 repairs a week!)

Thanks!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Location vs Mobile

Post by screenman »

I prefer not to do fixed as I do not like the waiting around for the next job, with my customer base I know I am going to pick up work at every visit or fleet check.

I know for many that fixed can work, although it is having a harder time over here due to insurers not being so generous and site fee's increasing.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good afternoon. I started out doing mobile. A few months later I rented a space in the front parking lot of a large Flea Market On Fri- Sat & Sun. . After a few weeks I changed my mind. People would take my card and said they would call me. Some I repaired on the spot. I also Did headlight restorations while there. Too much time taken away, should someone want their WSR. I've done mobile since that time. No lot fee or sharing earnings with anyone. I have a friend that owns a dozen or more self or automatic car wash centers, within 3 counties of me. I've turned him down several times the past few months. The minute I would get set up at a location , one of the TPA's would call to do a WSR. Or a client would call to do a HLR for a customer of theirs. My referral network, consist of inspection stations, detail shops, car dealers, Auto part chains, Truck stops and repair centers. I do the big rigs, Buses, Motor Homes etc..., both WSR & HLR. I retired for the second time in my career and I am doing this full time now. My first week this month, I had 2 days of doctor appointments and still managed to clear over $500. I have 2 headlights to do in the morning. I have plenty of time during the day to be relaxed and take care of personal business if needed, now that I am retired. I have had days that I was on the go all day, and took in more than $700 in one day, thanks to the Interstate construction trucks. Heavy canvasing will generate money eventually. Some just want a little extra spending money. I live in one of the poorest areas, with high unemployment. ISometimes the work comes in waves. That's why you work all your markets, instead of sitting in one location, waiting for the numbers game, to net your quota. If I lived nearer to the Auction lots, I would work
them a few nights per month. Mobile works for me. I don't like the sitting and waiting as time passes by. After about 60 days, you may need to move your spot for a few months. Its called exhausting the traffic in that area. You have a great day . Some do very well at both. Don't always count on a TPA unless you are in a hot market.
mrchips1952

Post by mrchips1952 »

Here in Western Canada we have a company that sets up tents in every shopping center they can get their hands on. They operate from early May to fall, and seem to employ primarily college students. They seem to do Okay, but have to incur some fixed costs and weather frustrations.

I have operated as mobile only on a year around basis since 2004 and find that this suits my semi-retired lifestyle better. I have a profile on Yelp, and advertise regularly on Kijiji and Craig's list. This generates enough calls to keep me interested. Many of my present calls are referrals and word-of-mouth.

My profit to expense ratio is higher, as I can sit at home with my feet up if nothing happens. I don't pay anyone to do switchboard or office cleaning. I don't have an extra set of utilities or rent to cover. I do very little for car lots, and tend to focus on heavy trucks and fleets for the bulk of my clients. My RV dealers give me a lot of referrals for motorhome windshields and headlights. Taxi fleets and commercial vehicles that require periodic safety inspections are ripe for picking too.
Business cards, flyers with pictures of your own work, free ads on community bulletin boards and Facebook pages, and prominent decals on your vehicles will build community awareness. The longer the community sees your name out there, the more confidence they have in you and the more repeat calls you get.

I take all calls as they come and try to respond as soon as I can get to them. Booking and balancing appointments can be frustrating, and the sooner the job is done, the sooner the customer has a smile on his face, and you have the money in your jeans.
Let us improve your driving outlook!
mrchips1952