Resin dispenser.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Resin dispenser.

Post by candyman »

For almost 7 years I have used the eye drop dispenser for my resin. I discovered this past week that my supplier is no loner using glass bottles. Instead, a black plastic, bottle with a squeeze tip has replaced the eye dropper. This is almost as good as sliced bread & tomato sandwiches. I already see a savings by counting the drops, rather than estimating or guess work. Thank you Michele.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Resin dispenser.

Post by Brent Deines »

We've sold MagniBond in glass bottles with squeeze droppers as well as in plastic squeeze bottles with dropper tips for many years so customers had the choice. Now we sell in plastic only but include bot droppers and dropper tips.

Our recommendation to Delta Kits injector owners is to continue using the droppers so you can get the resin all the way down into the end seal. Counting drops from a squeeze bottle when using top load injectors will fill the threads on the inside of the cylinder with resin. This means you will need to use more resin, not less, to get the end seal properly filled and you will have more resin to clean off your injector when you are done. The problem is compounded if you are using a Delta Kit spring loaded injector because the excess resin above the end seal can gum up the spring assembly if not thoroughly cleaned after ever repair.

The droppers we send out with the plastic bottles are smaller than the old droppers used in the glass bottles. For best results completely fill the dropper with resin, insert as far as possible into the cylinder, squeeze the bulb on the dropper and keep it squeezed as you remove the dropper from the cylinder. This dispenses just the right amount of resin into the end seal without loading the cylinder threads with resin.

If the end seal is not completely filled with resin the injector will not function properly resulting in damage that does not completely fill. Three common complaints we receive from users of squeeze bottles is that 1) repairs are not filling properly, 2) they are using too much resin, and 3) they are getting resin all over their hands.

Note: If you are using a bottom load injector a plastic squeeze bottle works just fine, which is why we include both droppers and dropper tips with our resins. Whatever the style or brand of injector you prefer, we have you covered.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I was under the impression that counting the drops into the injector was best. After reading your reply, I will go back to the glass dropper that was sent. Problem with the plastic eye dropper, the cap and squeeze portion would separate within a few uses. I clean my injectors after every use. I've only had one to freeze up and that was because it was tilted on its side on a hot day, while I was attempting to repair a second break. I generally guess at how much I need based on the break. 'I 've watched others do the drop method and they seemed to get the job done with less waste and hassle free, but not using the dropper. Bruce told me that the black bottle helps keep the sun from drying out the resin if it should be left out. I need to go back through the forum and check each of the resins make up. Bruce told me the resin is best for my use and are. I was concerned after a few very bad Star breaks, when I couldn't get resins to fill a few of the tight legs. The break started out from the impact with legs coming to the surface and ending under the surface . The last 3 have been fine. I sometime forget to allow the injector to do the work and wait. Don't rush the job. I recently started back doing repairs after a few months off due to my cancer surgery. Its amazing , how sometimes you forget the little things that make a big difference. I am retiring for the second time June 1. I plan to do WSR & HLR full time . I have a good base built up with repeat clients. Working two jobs is cutting into my sleep time according to my surgeon. So, I am getting rid of my stress job I often make more doing this with less time involved. When I had my marketing in full mode, it was hard to get any rest. I will go back to the dropper. Maybe the glass dropper will endure longer.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I attempted to correct my errors and can't find the edit icon.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Dropper all the way for me, top loaded and away I go.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Hope everything is improving with your health Candyman. Hope treatments are helping your fight against cancer.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I hope your surgery went well. Cancer is nasty business but the cure rate is improving. I'll be praying that you are fully cured!

Congrats on your retirement from your "stressful" job!

The edit button is the little pencil icon, the first in the list. I may go away after a few hours or maybe a few days though. I believe there is a limited amount of time to edit your posts.

I think we may have talked about the droppers separating previously. I really don't understand why but every once in awhile a customer has that complaint and in some cases they continue to have the problem even after we explain that over tightening he droppers is the cause but for literally thousands of our customers that problem simply does not exist. I know in all the years I have been repairing windshields it has not happened to me. Hopefully you will not experience that problem with the new droppers.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the new droppers are sized to take the guess work out of how much resin to use. You simply fill them as full as you can get them, which looks like a lot, but is actually equal to only a few drops from a squeeze bottle.

I may have told you the story about how I became a believer in using droppers but Just in case I'll give you the short version. A large glass distributor invited us to an open house where we were to do a demonstration for 50+ glass shop owners. I had been using glass bottles with droppers since before I even started working for Delta Kits but this particular distributor wanted their private labeled resin packaged in plastic squeeze bottles so that is what I used for my demonstration. The damage was a medium sized combination break and with everyone gathered around I diligently counted out 7 drops of resin from the squeeze bottle into the injector cylinder, screwed in the plunder and ... nothing! I removed the plunger, counted out 7 more drops of resin, screwed the plunger back in and this time the break began to fill but only slightly. I was sweating and unsuccessfully trying to think of an excuse why the damage was not filling like it should when one of the glass shop owners stepped up and explained that the reason I was not getting the damage to fill was that I was not getting resin all the way down into the end seal where it belonged. Almost all of the resin I had put into the injector was stuck in the threads. I eventually got the damage to fill but it took three times as much resin as I normally use and by that time most of my audience had gotten tired of watching me fumble around and moved on. It was an embarrassing moment for me but a lesson I will never forget.

If anyone has doubts about this it is easy enough to demonstrate. Simply mount the bridge to a windshield but leave the cylinder above the glass. now count out your drops as you load resin from a squeeze bottle and see how many drops it takes before you have resin run out the end seal. Now with a clean injector repeat the test but this time use a dropper and insert it all the way into the injector and give the end bulb a squeeze. Even if you only have a couple of drops in the dropper resin will come out of the end seal immediately but I think you will be shocked at how much resin you need to load from a squeeze bottle to get any resin to come out the end.

Let us know how you make out with the new droppers. I think if you stop counting drops and make sure the dropper is inserted as far as possible into the injector you will find all of your repairs come out better but especially tight star breaks.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Thanks Brent. I will make sure I don't over tighten the bottle. Do you leave the dropper in the resin when not in use or put the cap back on. No treatment for my cancer. Chemo and radiation has no effect on the cancer known as, Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma. Its either surgically removed or fate. 95% of people that have this die within 2 years. Mostly because it is detected too late. I was one of the lucky 5%. I lost only part of my left Kidney. All the muscles on the left side of my chest was cut. My chest was expanded to remove the 2 inch tumor. That left me very bruised and soar for weeks. Its been over 3 months and I am still swollen on the left side. The cancer is gone. However, I have some liver damage due to the cancer and the mega doses of Vitamin D and potassium to get my immune system working. I am just glad to be here. I was slowed down, but not stopped. My Marine training instilled in me won't allow me to give in or up. Thanks for all the well wishes from the Forum members. Thanks Brent for the advice. You can always be counted on for insight to windshield repair and your staff.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through all of that. I can't even imagine how hard that was on you and your family but I'm glad you are not one to throw in the towel. I have a good friend who was given 6 months to live about 6 years ago but is still here. Call it a miracle like I do, a misdiagnosis, or just dumb luck, the fact is the doctors don't always get it right.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.