Protecting the vehicle during HL restoration

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Protecting the vehicle during HL restoration

Post by Brent Deines »

What are you guys doing to protect your customer's vehicle during your headlight restoration process? I think we do a pretty good job of masking off painted surfaces using masking tapes and films to protect paint and canvas drop cloths to cover the engine compartment but it is a time consuming process and I would like to find faster and better ways of accomplishing this task.

We find that if dry sanding and using a disc for the final polishing step only dust is produced, which can be removed compressed air, water, car duster, etc., but when wet sanding or using a liquid polish a larger area needs to be protected. We dry sand and often don't find the need to use a liquid polish but we like to have our bases covered in the event we determine a liquid polish will improve the final result.

Any advice?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Protecting the vehicle during HL restoration

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I have to make a comment on tape. Ive been using a 3M yellow tape for a couple of years now. I don't have a part number but its a superior product to the thin blue paper tape. The blue tape requires two layers in order to be effective. The yellow tape has a thin layer of rubber thus requiring only one round of tape on a lens for acquitted protection. Cost is just a bit more than the blue tape per role but the time and the cost per lens is worth it.

Being 100% mobile here in the rust belt, I don't wet sand only because you cant in the winter. To protect detailed dealer units or customers cars, Ill throw a big moving blanket over the motor or the body. Using a polish, I use a fine mist so theres no back wash of water spraying on the car everywhere.
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

I dry sand 99% of the time. Some Impalas require a wet sand with a special drill using the 320, 500.and a 800 or 1000 grit. Then finish the lenses with a dry 1500 then polish with the 3000 polishing pad. When I do that I cover the engine with a large beach towel. Dry sanding, depending on the vehicle, leaves a thin powder along the bumper and fender area near the HLs. I just wipe that down prior to polishing the HLs. I started using a 3m blue plastic type tape several months ago. It works well, but I still double tape just for safety reasons. Its cheaper on sale than the other Blue tape. WalMart and Ollies carry this product.
Rev

Post by Rev »

I'm new to the HLR biz and have been hand finishing HLs and just started machine sanding. I am double taping, the first taping is with yellow tape and the second tape I use is the blue. The only reason I'm using two is if I go through the blue tape the yellow is a warning indicator that tells me to be more careful. I guess I'm still nervous and afraid of damaging the customers paint. :roll:
Let There Be Light :roll:
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

I really like that idea!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.