Crack Repair info/guidance

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
davidsleg09
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Crack Repair info/guidance

Post by davidsleg09 »

I am interested in performing crack repairs, I have been doing chips for almost a year and feel very confident in chips. Mr. Deines, you seem to be the cat's pajamas on here lol, I've been able to use a lot of the advice you've given others on this forum and it has been very useful. So any advice you can share on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Advice from all is welcomed obviously, but the info I'm seeking deals with types of bridge to use, viscosity of resin to use, drilling depths and techniques, type of grease to help guide the bridge, cracks that go all the way to the channel/seal of windshield...pretty much anything crack related. Thank you guys in advance, I've already learned a lot from quite a few of yall!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Crack Repair info/guidance

Post by Brent Deines »

The cat's pajamas huh, dang, you must be almost as old as I am!

I've discussed my preferred method in detailed a number of times on this forum and I'll be traveling for the next few days so I think I'll refrain from detailing it all over again, at least for the moment. However, I'll be back in the office next Tuesday so if you want to call me I'll be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

I will say that I don't slide my bridge or use multiple viscosities of resin, rarely use crack expanders, and probably do a number of other things that are contrary to what some other technicians practice, so hopefully others will chime in if you are interested in trying some of those techniques. I've tried them and I feel I have good reasons for not following the crowd so please don't hesitate to call me or search the forum if you are interested in why I do what I do.

I should also say that while I have successfully repaired a lot of cracks over the years it's never been my favorite thing to do. Maybe it's my background as windshield replacement technician or maybe it's because I feel there is considerably more money to be made repairing stars, bullseyes, combo breaks and short cracks, or maybe it's because I sell a lot of car glass repair products to replacement shops and glass suppliers, or maybe it's just my ADD that doesn't allow me to be patient enough to spend the time it sometimes takes to repair a long crack properly. I can't really say for sure but I'm not as crazy about long crack repair as some. I always felt the same way about replacing windshields in old rusted out cars. I think I was better than most at it but I always felt my time was better spent on replacements that were less time consuming and provided a larger return on investment.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
davidsleg09

Post by davidsleg09 »

Thanks Mr. Deines, I guess I did'nt search back far enough or didnt use the correct terms, only found a few on the subject. And only found a few vids on youtube showing the process but they both showed using some kind of lubricant to glide the bridge along the crack. Anyway, its funny cause since i started this venture i figured i would like to learn crack repair also, well i have recently finished putting my business model together and started putting myself out there, literally less than a week and already had 2 people contact me about cracks lol. I appreciate your input and the fact youre willing to take time to share your knoledge with the newbs. I will definately be getting in touch with you soon
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Some of the sliding bridge videos are impressive to say the least. If you go that route please let us know how you feel about those videos after you have had some time to practice. It's one thing to show a crack disappear in a video within a few seconds but quite another to do that consistently in real life. I have yet to see any of those guys do live demos at trade shows.

There is a demand for crack repair but at least in our area those who inquire about long cracks rarely rarely have insurance coverage or have the money to pay for them so we have to be careful about extending our money back satisfaction guarantee. If a broke customer with no insurance knows about our guarantee going in all they have to do is say they aren't happy with the results and they don't have to pay for it...even if the repair comes out 100% perfect.

In a state like Oregon it's tough to get someone to pay $75-$100 for a long crack repair when they are driving a $500 car with no comprehensive insurance. We do have customers who specialize in long cracks however so maybe that is just a regional issue.

By the way, Mr. Deines is my dad, please all me Brent. We're all friends here!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
davidsleg09

Post by davidsleg09 »

Thanks Brent! And sorry about the "Mr". Its the southern hospitality thats been engrained since moving to GA since I was 11. Also being a firefighter, we are held to a certain standard of professionalism in which I try to convey in every day life. Again, a million thanks to your replies and advice. Just received some more equipment I ordered from Delta thanks to the help of Korey. I'm gonna go ahead and try to tackle some cracks in practice and see how it goes. I will keep you updated.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

David, I'm a fellow fireman also, good to see another one on here. I do long crack repairs and love it. It is important to note the fresher the crack the better. If people call me up saying the crack has been there for a year I usually recommend replacing.
davidsleg09

Post by davidsleg09 »

Thanks for the reply brother. If it's cool with you I may be contacting you as well, just for a few tips and advice on different aspects of being in business while being on the job.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Sure, contact me anytime