Factory UV coating

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
clearvision
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Factory UV coating

Post by clearvision »

Hi Everyone

Im pretty new to headlight restoration although I have done about a dozen pairs now recently .I have not started professionally but am getting geared up to in the very near future.

I have read that some manufacturers dont have coatings on their headlights. Is this true?

One of the cars was an 04 Acura and when I started with 400 grit on the very yellowed headlights I never ever broke through or saw the coating come off. It all just sanded uniformly.

All the other headlights I could see where the coating was peeling/sanding off.

Thanks for your help. I have researched headlight restoration for months now and this is the only place where I have found to get correct information! So glad to have found you!
Old Blue 66

Re: Factory UV coating

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Many times on an Acura ,Honda and Toyota or Lexus, the coating simply flakes off over time. I those cases, you can simply polish the lens and re-coat and get the exact same results. But you need to make sure the coating is all gone. If youre not sure, run a 300 disc over the lens really quick and you;ll be able to see if any old coat still remains.
Paul Weinstein
clearvision

Re: Factory UV coating

Post by clearvision »

Thanks old blue 66. That was very helpful!