FEBUARY WEATHER

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: FEBUARY WEATHER

Post by Brent Deines »

Being from Montana I have to completely disagree with using only cabin heat. That would take forever on a really cold day, and I've worked on plenty of cold days. I always use the defrosters. If the car has not been running they will blow cold air at first and gradually get warm as the engine warms up, which is exactly what you want. If the car has been in use the customer has already been using the defrosters. Just try defrosting your windshield using only cabin heat before you take your fist drive of the day and you'll understand. If cabin heat only works for you that is great but in my experience it just doesn't cut it in really cold weather.

As far as staying warm I agree with screeenman. Insulated coveralls and a good pair of boots got me through a lot of winters even when the temperatures were well below zero F. I also like mittens with a zipper to allow you get your fingers out when you need them without exposing the rest of your hand and a good stocking hat. One great thing about working in cold weather is a temporary reduction in competition.

I almost hate to mention it but here in the banana belt the last couple of weeks have been amazingly warm and sunny. In fact, most of the winter has been warmer and dryer than normal here. However, that means there is less rock on the road so we might pay for this nice weather in the spring whereas those of you that are having extremely bad weather now should have a great spring.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Nathanerx7
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Nathanerx7 »

So tired of the winter come on springtime!!
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

A 102 inches of snow has fallen in the Mass area this Season another few inches it will be in the record books :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

Using the defroster from a cold engine and gradual warm up is usually fine. The mistake people make is blasting the heat onto an iced over windshield with no gradual warmup.
the big welshman

There was a report on the local news of a 75 car pile up on RT 95 Bangor Maine no one was injured thank goodness hey plenty of work for the local Body and Glass shops in the area
old school

Post by old school »

I left Chicago and Wisconsin and don't miss the weather one bit.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Correction on the 75 pile up outside of Bangor Maine. There were plenty of injuries but no deaths!
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

The danger of heating a windshield up, using defrosters, is a stress line forming as the glass defrosts. The defrosting pattern you see as the frost melts also shows the stress line inside the glass but the the stress line will still be there when all the screen is defrosted as the glass is being heated unevenly. If the damage is anywhere near the stress line it will significantly increase the risk of " break out", especially a star break. To avoid this, use the defrosters to start the warm up but switch to cabin heat when surface temperature is reached, allowing the stress to even out over all the glass before you commence the repair process.
The same principle applies in very hot weather using air con. to cool the glass and especially when the glass damage is close to the obscuration line where surface temperatures will be at their most uneven.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Or warm the inside and the outside at the same time. I use and always have used the top vents, not one break out in 27 years.
the big welshman

18.5 degrees F temp average for the month of February the coldest since the 18 century here in Mass its in the record books., and guest what we are having some more snow tomorrow roll the warm weather :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: