Windshield Replacement Training?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Dempsterglass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Windshield Replacement Training?

Post by Dempsterglass »

At the time Wyotech started I proposed a glass specific course to compliment the auto body portion.
They didn't want to allocate the time to a specific course and wanted to have it as an extension to auto body class.
It was more of an overview based on text and industry standards with hands on work complimenting body repair. The teacher had enough knowledge to do an install but not properly and on so many fronts. It would be like me teaching a body class. I'm capable but lack the skill that only time and first hand experience bring.
I know they retooled the class when the other teacher came in but to what extent I don't know to this day.
The classes are a primer to learn the basics. Working side by side for months or yrs with a mentor who is skilled is the best way. Sadly we are a dying breed.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

benswindshieldrepair wrote:I would NOT call Horizon's school a crash course, Dempster. It is 10 days and it is intense, but its just like anything else. The doctor who got C's and D's is still a doctor right? In my first hand experience, Mike and Horizon glass do a great job of training people. The key is "people" and the margin of error is very high. I can say that I owe a huge debt to Mike even after I paid him for the course. He is very skilled and knows his business well. It's impossible for him to police the work people do after they leave his wing and frankly, there's a lot of shortcuts to be made in this business...none of which he teaches. :)
I went to your FB page and looked at your pics of installs in process.
Couldn't help but notice the methods your using.
If this is what you were taught then you were taught shortcuts and improper techniques, which is pretty much what I've seen already from prior grads. So either the intructors are the issue or everyone keeps doing the same wrong things on their own or a combination.
If you want to learn the right way call me. You're in Bigfork, I'm off Lake Blaine and in Bigfork regularly as my clientele is rapidly building throughout this valley.
Believe me when I say I would rather have a competent competitor than someone putting people lives at risk because they don't know any better. You appear to care so I hope you take me up on offer.
Funny side note. Friend of mine is Sheriff deputy also here and he has been going out with me a few times on his days off to learn the trade. He's highly detailed and mechanical and learning quick.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Hey Dempster! I would love to get together. As for my FB, I don't update it much, as I am also not on here much, thus the late response. My technique and tools have evolved since my training. Mike was pretty solid on the round bead when I went to school. It wasn't long after that he began training the V and I also exclusively run V beads now. I also use different knives, cutout tools etc. Those photos are 5 or so years old and I haven't updated much. You're right, I really do care. And to date, I'm confident I do a good job. I have had one leaker in the 4 years I've been pursuing this venture. And I am learning every single day. I'm a smart guy, and I constantly keep myself abreast of new technology and techniques. I still stand behind Mike's school 100%. One thing he told me is that a lot of students would enroll, pay the price, and then go home after a week, instead of staying the full time, thinking they got the gist of it. And as you stated, 10 days isn't enough, let alone 5 or 6. But 10 days is enough for people of integrity and a level of intelligence that will not tarnish their own good name with substandard work. I've eaten some jobs over the years over mistakes I've made, and then made right. All lessons learned. As you know, this is a small community and your reputation is everything. But for me, Mike was the ticket. It's Montana, most of us work 2 jobs. I couldn't afford to quit my job with benefits in pursuit of what might have been a gamble in learning a new trade at bottom dollar wages in this economically challenged area. At any rate, I've got weekends off for the time being due to a new assignment at the S.O. So we should definitely have a beer sometime soon on a Thursday or Friday night! Gimme a call - 885.2800

I look forward to talking with you!
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Ben you are first class ! I really don't have to tell you know how I feel about you ! You know ! Listen to Ben he will guide you in the right way !
jasper custom

Post by jasper custom »

First off I haven't read everyone's post so I apologize for repeating anything but a 10 day class is more then u need for windshield replacement should take 2-3 the rest is in the field training in my opinion for a month minimum to be able to say u can do them in ur shop on ur own u need some one with some kind of expert to show u the ropes the basics are easy but with out experience when u run into a problem u need to know how to react to it and have some one to call I've never heard of the schools I do t know what they go over in the classes but I strongly advise not trying to go doin this on ur own b4 having some experience show u around
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

I sure didn't have years of training, but I had maybe 10 to 15 days of training from someone who is determined to do good work not the lick um and stick um that I see has been done everyday in my shop from my competitors. Yes I have had to learn some things the hard way, in fact I have been in the business of replacing auto glass now for 3 years and still learning all of the time. Everything is always changing and updating. Yet I am determined to do quality work, not like what I see come thru my shop that my competitors have really messed up. Wanting to be the best at what you do is what it takes, its not solely the training.