Peeling of uv coat

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Aussie lights
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Peeling of uv coat

Post by Aussie lights »

I am only new at the infinity 4.1 but think it is a great product. I have a few questions ,How long do you tell the customers to wait to wash there cars after finishing the headlights?
A customer went to a car wash and peeled off the uv coat within 24hours of curing will this happen all the time with a pressure washer at a car wash?
Also I have done a set at a car yard and when they buffed the car they peeled the uv coat off from where the buff has hit the light.
Does the uv coat set harder after 48 hrs?
Thanks for any information .
Kgobin

Re: Peeling of uv coat

Post by Kgobin »

It will take approximately 30 minutes for the Infinity coating to dry to the touch before the vehicle can be driven. The coating will continue cure for the next 72 hours and we advise customers to wait at least 24 hours before hand washing their car, wait at least 1 week before going through an automatic car wash, and to never pressure wash the restored headlights. Failure to follow the recommendations may result in scratches, spotting, or other damage to the headlights.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Aussie lights

Post by Aussie lights »

Thanks Korey, how long would you say the uv would last if the car stays outside in 32degrees Celsius during the day?
I have told my customer if they look after them and don't use abrasive cleaning products on them they should easily last 12 months.
What's the best way if cleaning the lights from bugs and road grime ? I tell my customers a good car wash and use good amounts of elbow grease, any other ideas?
I don't give any warranty as it is more hassle than it's worth.
Cheers
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

There are a number of variables other than temperature that can increase/decrease the life of a headlight. For example, how the vehicle is used, how many miles it sees, what the weather is like, how the lenses are cared for etc... When it comes to cleaning headlights they are polycarbonate/plastic so you're right about not using any abrasive cleaning solutions and applying some elbow grease!
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning: Headlights should be cleaned with soap and water only: Fill a spray bottle with water and add 2 or 3 drops of Dawn or joy> The liquid dish detergent will make the water slippery. Spray the headlight good then hose off. Never grind the dirt into lens. Let the dirt slide off and keep spraying till it does. I tell my customers don't wash for 48 hours and never use a spray wand on headlights. It will strip the coating and can cause hair line stress fractures. MY body shop guys tell me high pressure wands and chemicals aren't good for clear coat paint either. Should it rain during the first 4 hours tell them to turn their headlights on. Other than that the rain should not hurt them. Have a nice day.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Pressure washers will remove any headlight coating if it's hit directly with enough pressure, no matter the age of the coating. I've seen factory bumper paint removed with pressure washers.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I agree with t4k, candyman and kgobin, but other than using a pressure washer only time I have seen Infinity 4.1 peel off is if the lens had something on it that caused an adhesion failure. Any type of polish or cleaner that contains a wax or silicone should never be used prior to applying a coating.

The reason I mention this is because while other application and/or maintenance issues may cause discoloration, fish eyes, or premature aging, coming off in strips is not something we see unless one of the above applies.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Aussie lights

Post by Aussie lights »

Thanks guys for all the helpful hints and knowledge , I currently only put on the one uv coat which seems to work well , I have done the two coats before which I read in other posts which does give it that pop! Look but I don't usually have time and to save money I don't do 2 coats.
In saying this I have also read that you can use a cutting compound that does not have silicon in it after 3000 polish pad. Would this also help with the wow factor, using the 1 coat method ?
The compound I would look At using is brand name "Juice" cut, It's says no silicon.
Thanks again,
Aussie lights
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I assume you are referring to Juice Q Cut. It is a water based product that reportedly contains no silicone or wax. Used with the right buffing tool and applicator pad you may see an improvement in the appearance of the lens prior to applying a protective coating which will improve the wow factor.

I'm sending you an email with some additional information.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
mrchips1952

Post by mrchips1952 »

When I worked in a body shop, I was taught that final sanding was done to give the surface some "tooth" for the new paint to grip to. Would the use of a polish diminish the adhesion of the C2P or 4.1 to the surface of the lens? Would you be inviting adhesion failure by using any polish on the surface of the lens? I have never encountered peeling on a vehicles' lights that I have refinished. But the polish compound bottle that came with the kit in 2005 is still full too.
Just thinking.....
Let us improve your driving outlook!
mrchips1952