What if?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jdn
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What if?

Post by jdn »

What do you do if you're working on a repair and it gets worse? How do you handle this with the customer? Is this something that happens from time to time? Just want to be prepared for anything when I get started. Thanks.
bill lambeth

Re: What if?

Post by bill lambeth »

Uhm ! No since and to ask screen because he never cracks w/s ! Ha ! You for warn them before you start that it could happen ! If it does ! Apologize and move on to another w/s! It is going to happen if you are in this business!
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

I always explain the process and pressure involved before work. Remind them that their windshield is broken and WILL get worse if left alone.
We are attempting to stop that but it could spread during repair. Have waiver preprinted on workorder explaining the above, not a Guaranteed process and not liable if it spreads with a spot for them to initial next to waiver.
It's rare that they run if you take your time and work the break under proper conditions but things happen and informing the customer first with a signature to back it up covers your bases.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Bill it is way less likely to happen if you know what causes many of them to do so.

I do agree with the others on prepping a customer, undersell and over deliver is one of our business motto's.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

Crack outs are very rare if proper tecniques are followed, however if something appears to be unstable or high risk, warn the customer in advance. Cover your *** so to speak. Been doing this 12 years. Nearly 19,000 repairs. Only 2 that cracked beyond repair during the wsr process.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Wow ! Clearquest ! That is a great percentage ! You are my hero ! I am for sure doing something wrong after eleven years ! Maybe I need to get trained from you and screen ! I could not resist !
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Bill I have had many people come here for training that have been repairing glass for longer than you, we are never too old to stop learning.

Here is one little lesson you may know but others will not, a surface crack even from a small star is far more likely to run than a subsurface when the glass is warm or heated.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

I dont view it as anything spectacular. It's easy to avoid crack outs.