Help a newbie to decide

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
brent
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Help a newbie to decide

Post by brent »

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to jump into Windshield and Headlight repair business. At the moment, I'm doing an online research to find the best product out there. So far, I have not found any Manufacturer shining above the rest. I mean they all are pretty much the same and this really confuse me to chose whom product should I go with.

I know that this forum ran by Delta Kits but I hope that the users are unbiased to give me recommendation. Not sure if I am allowed to post other manufacturers here so I decided not to. This is my first post, so it could easily be translated as a spam. 8-)

- The guy from the North
Another newbie
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Help a newbie to decide

Post by screenman »

I think that the fact that Delta go to the trouble of running a forum where as the others have failed tells us something. That something is they are dedicated and do not give up when it comes to customer service.

I would imagine I am one of the longest suppliers of WSR services on here and I use Delta.
brent

Post by brent »

HLR:
I have read lots of praising of the Infinity 4.1 kits so at the moment I'm leaning toward this kit: 70060 ClearPro PLUS Headlight Restoration System - 240 Volt. It would be great if you guys can share your experience on these questions:

- How durable is the repair.. Would it last for years before the headlights go bad again
- How about the quality of the orbit included in the kit? It looks a bit like a cheap Chinese made powertool, although I know that don't judge the book by its cover but I just want to make sure. :)
- What is the cost of the materials for one car (two headlights)?
- How long does it take to carry out the repair for one car?

WSR:
I'm struggling to pick out the "best" kit for wsr. I have narrowed down to three kit in alphabet order:

- Delta Kits EZ-500D Mobile Pro Plus Windshield Repair System ($1,585.00, up to 200 repairs)
Well known, superb customer service, old school.

- Glasweld G3 Professional Kit ($1,495.00, up to 450+100 repairs)
Modern, Braulio Lopez used Glasweld kit to win 2013 World’s Best Windshield Repair Technician title.

- Ultra Bond CrackMaster Windshield Repair Kit ($1,995, up to 400 repairs)
Innovative, The Original Inventor of Windshield Crack Repair?

Help.... :shock:
Another newbie
screenman

Post by screenman »

We had WSR over here a long time before your last one started in business, and it came from the USA. So I have always wondered about that claim.

They started in business in 1986, I started a year later and Novus started WSR in 1972.

In my mind Delta does not make any false claims, which is one of many reasons I like to be connected with them.
brent

Post by brent »

I also suspect that there is something wrong with that claim. There is the Novus distributor in my country so I'm going to see him this week out of curiosity. There is no information about the system of their and the pricing publicly available.
Another newbie
candyman

Post by candyman »

Its a tough choice making a decision on something you haven't done. Read through this forum and talk to the suppliers. I started with DK more than 5 years ago and I still get great service. They answer the phone when I call for advice or supplies. Good folks. The WSR equipment I purchased, looks as new today as it did when I purchased my kit. The orbital sander does the job. It may need replacing each year depending upon the number of restorations you do and how well you take care of it. I have an expensive sander, but I prefer the one DK has in the kits. Light weight and easy to use. The Infinity 4.1 is a great product. You would be hard pressed to find something better. Some of my clients vehicles have never been redone while others may need to be done every 12 to 18 months. Customers that take care of their vehicles seem to last longer. I educate my customers on how to care for their headlights. There are the exceptions, no matter what the owner may do. I give no guarantee for HL restorations, because I have no control over the customer and how they treat their vehicles. Most headlights have a limited one year warranty when purchased brand new. Restorations should be sold the same as car waxing. It should be done on a regular basis or as needed. Make sure you attend a class from the supplier on the product and system you buy. It will help shorten the learning curve. I still learn something new each week. Avoid those that want a percent of your business or a contract. You can do this without giving your hard earned money away. Have a great day.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

I dont really feel that the dk forum should be used to list and compare various manufacturers kits. An experienced, trained, certified windshield repair technician could most likely do quality repairs with ANY of the kits mentioned. This occupation and the success of anyone who gets into it, rests more on the person doing the repair than the equipment they choose.
t4k

Post by t4k »

clearquest wrote:I dont really feel that the dk forum should be used to list and compare various manufacturers kits. An experienced, trained, certified windshield repair technician could most likely do quality repairs with ANY of the kits mentioned. This occupation and the success of anyone who gets into it, rests more on the person doing the repair than the equipment they choose.
I agree 100% !!!!
brent

Post by brent »

I think I understand why you feel the way you feel, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's out of respect for the DK. However, the DK does not forbid not to compare their products with other manufacturers or list other manufacturers. I think the DK has already think this through. DK is not scared of the competition because they know that competition is healthy and necessary for product development. And this is pretty awesome. DK is not favoring dictatorship and censorship thus they are giving us - the users the right to post freely in a good manner.

Newbie like me is here to learn a thing or two from the professional like you guys. I cannot find any better place to ask for recommendations of the kits to be use when one wants to enter the trade. Open the gates and spread the knowledge around, because sharing is caring! :D
Another newbie
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

You missed my point. It's up to dk to allow or not allow things on this forum. Makes no difference to me either way. My point was, there's more value in what you can learn about proper procedures to do quality repairs and how you can run a successful business, than in choosing a repair kit supplier. You can have the best equipment in the world and still fail if you dont do things correctly. Many wsr guys come and go for that very reason.