american windshield repair systems

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
HBCC
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: american windshield repair systems

Post by HBCC »

t4k wrote:
HBCC wrote:
bill lambeth wrote:I can tell you that in the real world most people DO NOT dry out every repair ! You can use a little common sense with this ! I do dry out ! I have three drystars but I aint doing if it don't need it !!!

I live in the sub tropics with humidity ranges from 70% - 90%+
Where are you located?

Is this important to the discussion ? I think not. Humidity % is humidity % regardless of where someone is located.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

If in doubt dry it out is the best advice I can offer.

Injector pressure is your problem with that repair.

Are you heating from inside or out when drying out, outside is best.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Wow, HBCC, sorry I asked. Just trying to be friendly and was curious where that type of humidity occured. I won't make that mistake again with you!!

Have a good one...
HBCC

Post by HBCC »

t4k wrote:Wow, HBCC, sorry I asked. Just trying to be friendly and was curious where that type of humidity occured. I won't make that mistake again with you!!

Have a good one...
Don't get your knickers in a knot, I already stated the sub tropics. I do infact live in Australia if that helps you :)
HBCC

Post by HBCC »

screenman wrote:If in doubt dry it out is the best advice I can offer.

Injector pressure is your problem with that repair.

Are you heating from inside or out when drying out, outside is best.
I was taught inside with the lighter. I have seen the this in the Delta catalogue:

http://www.deltakits.com/shopping/acces ... evaporator

Would I be better to use something like this than the higher unpredictable heat of a lighter ?

Also, thank you for your help and information.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Never from the inside, for one the heat has to go too far before it starts to have an effect. Also have a think about what happens when the inside glass expands before the outside one, and the effect is like pulling the crack or chip apart. Heating from the inside to dry out is extremely ineffective in my opinion.

The drystar is a great tool, and well worth the investment. Used in conjunction with the heat sink it speeds up drying out rapidly.
HBCC

Post by HBCC »

screenman wrote:Never from the inside, for one the heat has to go too far before it starts to have an effect. Also have a think about what happens when the inside glass expands before the outside one, and the effect is like pulling the crack or chip apart. Heating from the inside to dry out is extremely ineffective in my opinion.

The drystar is a great tool, and well worth the investment. Used in conjunction with the heat sink it speeds up drying out rapidly.
Thanks, I would order one right now but my local supplier is out of stock. Hopefully they get some in stock soon.
cracksout

Post by cracksout »

I have the American car windshield repair kit. It wasnt expensive and it has everything you need to get a base job done. I thought my repairs were good in comparison to professionals in the area. Safelite and some of the bigger glass companies who do repairs, mine 9 outta 10 instances look way better than theirs. With that said, I saw a guy put on here a repair which I thought was pretty good and he got picked apart. I was taught these steps. 1. clean the area 2. drill through the 1st layer on stars and bullseyes and simple clean out the area on surface chips 3. bridge, then insert resin, suck out air and repeat. 4. lighter on inside of windshield if having hard time removing moisture. 5. pit filler resin and then tab. Ive seen repairs where you can still stick your finger nail in from other pros. But mine are generally smooth to the touch. Yeah you can still see the impact area in some cases but its smooth. What am I missing?
screenman

Post by screenman »

Lots, but I am short of time so I will get back later.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

cracksout wrote: I saw a guy put on here a repair which I thought was pretty good and he got picked apart.
That's just the nature of this forum.
Its not malicious, but everyone has an opinion. :D
The American injector has a black seal. Doesn't that make it hard to see air in the break, when you look in the reflection of the chip in mirror as you repair it?