I need to learn, what resources are available ?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
HBCC
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

I need to learn, what resources are available ?

Post by HBCC »

Hello Forum people,

I live in regional Queensland, Australia. I have a windscreen replacement / repair mentor currently teaching me the ropes who has 25 years experience. I have practiced and and learnt all I can from my mentor and have started out on my own. I have had only a couple of customers so far and I have been completely happy with my repairs. More importantly my customers have been completely happy with my repairs.Both going so far as to give me an extra $10 each which surprised the hell out of me as I charge a decent price in line with other repairers in my area.

My problem is, my mentor is experienced yet not too worried about doing a good repair job. He focuses on replacement which he does very well and although I know the procedure for fixing various types of damage and feel confident in doing so I am the type of person who needs to know everything about what I am doing so I can do it better than everyone else.

I would love to do a course on repair work and also maybe a course on auto glass, how it is made, any differences in glass I may encounter basically anything that will give me more knowledge to do the best job possible.

Are there any Australians on this board, particularly in Queensland who may be able to direct me to an TAFE course, online course or any type of workshop that may help me get as much knowledge about my particular chosen field as possible ?

Any information is welcome.

Thank you.
Paul.
HBCC

Re: I need to learn, what resources are available ?

Post by HBCC »

Thanks for the Delta video you sent me Korey, I already have this and have watched it many times. I am impressed with the level of customer service you guys give. It's amasing. Keep up the good work.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Hands on is the way just start doing practice repair after practice repair. Remember what worked and what didn't.
HBCC

Post by HBCC »

Thanks GlassStarz. Hands on is the best. I was hoping to learn more about the glass I am working on, I find the repair process quite simple if you follow the correct steps.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

You could teach a monkey to do repair.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

have to disagree with you on that one. maybe you could teach a monkey to do it but I doubt it would know how to deal with the variables. we already have enough monkeys out there doing bad repairs! Besides, it takes more than monkey business to be successful in this trade.
screenman

Post by screenman »

If the teacher has a higher level of experience than a chimp, which many do not seem to have over here.
HBCC

Post by HBCC »

ermm guys, I am trying to get information and be an informed and experienced repairer, how did the conversation go from me wanting some learning material to become more knowledgeable to repair monkeys ?
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

After seeing the repairs that some guys do, I think maybe they were trained by monkeys. Dont kid yourself by thinking its always so simple. Get yourself some quality training.
HBCC

Post by HBCC »

clearquest wrote:After seeing the repairs that some guys do, I think maybe they were trained by monkeys. Dont kid yourself by thinking its always so simple. Get yourself some quality training.
That is what I am trying to do which I explained in my original post. I was hoping someone from my state may have done something similar and could have pointed me in the right direction.

I am sure I will have more questions for you guys soon. Talk to you later!