Polishing

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
graham
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Polishing

Post by graham »

Hi again

Did a chip with quite a large pit, filled nicely and pit-filled it, cured it etc etc

But when I polished it I couldnt get it to a glass-like finish. It was all Delta resin and Pit Filler and Polish. Used just a small drop at first and polished with a micro-fibre cloth. Still noticeably a dull finish. Tried more polish but not 100%. Nice and smooth to the touch though.

Any ideas? Is it me, the cloth, or do the larger ones just stand out a bit more. The pit was about 5mm diameter approx. The injector seal covered it OK.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Polishing

Post by GlassStarz »

The last resort is always put a small drop of resin and apply tab. Try to use just brought that it only covers the dull spot. Cure well pull tab do nothing else. It will be polished looking. If you had a small indent hopefully it's close to smooth. Again last resort.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

The polished pit will never be as shiny as the glass. ( its a different material)
The bigger the pit, the more noticeable it will be.
When you see a big pit, tell the customer what he should expect before beginning the repair.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Good post Mr Bill.

I like to call it underselling and over delivering. In other words build the customers expectation to less than you know you will achieve.
graham

Post by graham »

Thanks for the help. The smaller chips really seem to come up good, it was the bigger ones where they seem a bit lacklustre.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

Try to avoid pit filling, tabbing, curing and not polishing. That leaves a slightly elevated spot that can catch and wear on wiper blades over time. Also the clear finish it leaves after removing the tab is only temporary and it will age out to a duller spot anyway. Follow proper repair tecniques, scrape smooth and polish. As already mentioned, explain to the customer upfront what they can expect and things will be fine.
HBCC

Post by HBCC »

I just registered on the forums to ask basically the same thing. Mine is a little different though.

Sometimes my pit is clear and looks fantastic after a polish and other times it is cloudy.

I use a new blade every single repair but am almost 100% sure the cloudy finish is due to scraping the excess filler off with my blade.

It has me confused as to why the pit will be more cloudy sometimes and not others.

I keep my blade as close to 90 degrees to the windscreen as possible.

Could it be hand pressure differing causing different results ? <--- typing this post has just made me realise I could be onto something.

Maybe you more experienced guys can answer this, is it better to use a lot of downward pressure when removing excess resin to get the resin off in as few scrapes as possible ?

Is there a chance using a lot of pressure at this point could cause the resin to pop out of the pit ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys.