I cracked my first one today.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: I cracked my first one today.

Post by Mr Bill »

Wouldn't the water tend to evaporate from a chip in hot glass?
Would you use your drystar in this case?
screenman

Post by screenman »

Depends how long since it rained, it would not evaporate from inside the damage as fast as it does from the outside. The more surface area the faster the evaporation, a starbreak has a very small surface area for evaporation to occur.

If in doubt dry it out, every time.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Our water is different here :-) 8-)
benswindshieldrepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

If I have done everything I am trained to do, which is what I ALWAYS do, I would never offer a free replacement. I simply would not charge the customer for my services. They are seeking your expertise to fix an already BROKEN WINDSHIELD. If it doesn't work out then, well....It doesn't work out. I have the benefit of being a replacement guy (who would rather repair any day of the week), but that's the reality of the situation. Do EVERYTHING you can to save that break and if you can't....it was a break before you even arrived on scene and as long as you can say you did everything you could do to prevent it, then.... As I was trained, pressure and heat cause windshield breakage. Those are two physical properties you might have to apply to FIX it, so as long as you don't apply excessive heat and pressure and do what you were trained to do, this replacement should not fall in your lap. Some rock chips are destined for breakage one way or the other. My .02. I can't wait to get roasted over this.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Some folks live in areas that are always damp or humid and thats why they go on and on about drying out others live where they havnt seen one with moisture for years. :ugeek:
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

No rain in years and nobody washes there car? Where exactly might that be?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Rain a few times a year here and of course you check for moisture but it's rare. Dealing with hot GLASS is the bigger problem for me. My point is each area has their own unique problems. Live somewhere it gets humid or rains the guy always answers Moisture to a problem guy is from a place that's hot or dirty they will have their own standard answer. To solve a guys problem in many cases you have to ask about his conditions.
denniscraven

Post by denniscraven »

I can identify with you. Regardless of it being Oct here in Kansas, yesterday it was hot, and I had a couple of runners I would attribute to the heat. Those star breaks are stinkers, and in the frit even worse. I learn everyday, and I'm sure you do too.
Dennis Craven
THE CRACK CAT
(316)393-5734
Jtmac

Post by Jtmac »

So....you paid for a replacement on this job?? Anytime you do a repair, the glass is already damaged. Maybe it was your fault, maybe not. It could've ran simply from sitting in the heat...it's a tough one, I understand.
FixitFelix

Post by FixitFelix »

candyman wrote: June 22nd, 2014, 9:38 pm Good morning: You should have waited till the glass cooled below 90, if your first reading was 130. Windows open is good and leave a door open. Cooling the glass too quickly with water can crack it out also. The rain shower was already cooling the glass. I would never had replaced the WS. I always have them sign a wavier. Even under best of circumstances a break will somethimes run. If this is your first in 15 years, you have been very lucky. Ive had maybe 2 in 5 years. My first was similar to your break except the chip happen a few months earlier and had dirt and water in it. I too replaced that WS. After that I booked a class and went to training. I had waivers then and I require a wavier now prior to any repair. It was driven home to me from the start, why pay for glass already broken. If you can save them money great. Its guaranteed as long as they own the vehicle. For some thats a long time. I've returned money to insurance companies, not because of a crack out , but because the individual saw comercials on TV that show the repair completely diosappeared. Regardless of what information I told them about the skeleton and a brochure given to them from NWRA , they later decide they want a replacement. I dont mount the bridge untill the glass temp is in the range I need it. Have a great day.
Candyman would you mind sharing that waiver you're using? That's an awesome idea, and it answers a question I had in regards to approaching windshields. It would seem the perspective should be to approach a cracked windshield as something that is ALREADY broken, so you're trying to salvage something that is already damaged. Noted. This reminds me of a residential window that I was out to replace the glass on. I was removing one of the stops and the stop broke on me (it baked in the sun and was far too brittle). I explained to the home owner that stops can be difficult to work with when they've had alot of exposure to the sun, and we're not liable for brittle stops. While the home owner was understanding, I knew a waiver for this sort of thing would be necessary to prevent any unwanted expenses in the future.
I'm your huckleberry