12 volt power converters ???

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
h2oman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

12 volt power converters ???

Post by h2oman »

I am mobile and getting into the Headlight Restoration. From what I understand most Headlight Restorations will take 45 to 6o minutes using the orbit device in the Delta kits. From what I have seen it will take a a unit that should perform for this amount of time without causing any problems. If my vehicle battery is in great condition, any ideas if this should cause me a problem? And has anyone had great success with any particular product? What??? I need to keep my cost down but want to make sure it is a reliable product.
Thanks,
Old Blue 66

Re: 12 volt power converters ???

Post by Old Blue 66 »

To do that correctly, you need to install a jumper battery which would be of the marine type. Your cars electrical system was not meant for continued use possibly all day long on one of these things. To do it correctly, you need to run wires and more work/money than I found to be cost effective.

We use a small generator from Harbor Freight. And they are drop dead reliable. The at about 12"x12" in size. It runs about $89 when on sale and one tank last 1.5 days. It runs a sander, drill and a hair dryer on low when you need it. Fill it up every morning when you leave and yuore set. And your not tied ot the power of your car as you can work anywhere.

Just my opinion. It works for us.
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

I use a very small gen from harbour freight. It was 89 on sale last month. 9oo watts continuous and 1500 peak. Not heavy. I plan to get a small platform for my trailer tow, on my SUV so I dont have to take it in and out of the vehicle. I keep a 1.5 gal gas jug.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Thats exactly what we do. Works best.
Paul Weinstein
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Inverters work fine. Cheap, easy, clean, quiet. Been using them for many years. You can find 1000-2000 watt units for around $100.

If you want to do the generator.... at least go with a quiet unit like the 2000w honda or other similar cheaper options. I have one that sells for about $500 but it's for camping, etc.
salvatoreali

Post by salvatoreali »

Harbor freight 3 in 1 portable power pack and seperate inverter of enough wattage to power your equipment.
Inverters also available at harbor freight.Used to use generator but like this better.
More than 3 headlight sets a day you will need generator.
Dempsterglass

Post by Dempsterglass »

I have my van set up with an AIMS 2500/5000 watt inverter, second sealed deep cycle 250 amp/hr battery and an electronic switching battery isolator, 2 gauge wires and gold played connectors. A bit more pricey alternative (abut no more gas fumes or leaky generators after a couple yrs. Can run my HR polisher for almost 2 hrs straight before low voltage beeps at me needing van to be run. Whole setup cost appx $700 and worth every penny
mrchips1952

Post by mrchips1952 »

I have a 1250 watt inverter that I purchased from Radio Shack (the Source) that I run off my battery, I only run my Groit's buffer on it along with a fluorescent light if i'm working after dark. I don't have any problem if I start my vehicle after each pair of headlights and let it run for 5 minutes. I have run a 1000 watt heat gun for a couple of minutes to dry moisture from inside a housing, with no problems. I don't need anything more elaborate than that so far.
Let us improve your driving outlook!
mrchips1952
kevinsoupy

Post by kevinsoupy »

I am curious about the inverters. Who is installing an inverter properly for you? Or are you doing it yourself.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

I'm not currently using one but I have always installed mine myself. Stereo stores, trailer builders, RV suppliers and mechanics will often install them as well. All that is really required is a basic knowledge of the 12v system in a vehicle and the instructions that come with them.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.