combination chip help?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
h2oman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

combination chip help?

Post by h2oman »

Ok folks I need to ask for a little help again. Tonight I was working on a combo. One of the hard bullseyes and outer dark edges all the way around about a 1 1/2" diameter. As it was under pressure for about the 3rd time I began to get resin come out of a few of the outside edges but I couldn't get the others to all take because I was losing the pressure. It only looked about 70% better after completed. I would like it better than that. Any suggestions?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: combination chip help?

Post by Brent Deines »

Before starting the repair check to see if there are any cracks coming to the surface. If so, seal them off with pit resin (apply resin, cover with a curing tab and cure) before starting to fill the damage. That way you will not lose pressure or vacuum when filling the damage. More resin, more pressure and/or more vacuum will not do you any good on damage like that, you need to seal off the surface.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Sliding a cure tab over the leak can help too.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

I agree with Brent. If you have any apparent cracks at the surface it's always best to pit fill, cure, and smooth out before starting the repair. Same thing with oversize or irregular pits that the injector tip wont seal over. Pit fill them first to give a smooth surface and then drill back into the center of the filled pit to give an entry point for resin. In both of these scenarios, doing a careful visual inspection prior to starting the repair is very important because it's not something that is easily fixed if you have already started the injection process.
EMCAutoGlass

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

An easy way to check if there are any surfaced legs is to run the corner of a razer blade along the surface around the break. If you hear/feel a click, then you know it's surfaced and it should be sealed as previously mentioned.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

clearquest wrote: Same thing with oversize or irregular pits that the injector tip wont seal over. Pit fill them first to give a smooth surface and then drill back into the center of the filled pit to give an entry point for resin.
I used to do this, on large pits; but now I use a large pit adapter.
I get better results and, for me, it is easier and faster.