Drill

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Drill

Post by candyman »

I have a dremel drill I got 5 years ago. After the first few months it never held a charge for more than a day. Sometimes its difficult to hold in place to drill. I have a slow and fast speed. I need to know if any of you have seen one that has a trigger that you can control the speed and easy to grip. I've seen one somewhere during my hundreds of video watching on youtube of WSRs. I have an electric dremel that I use in my shop for wood and metal, but its not suited for WSR. Any infomation would be appreciated. Candyman
bill lambeth

Re: Drill

Post by bill lambeth »

I know GT has one as well as LR . I have the LR that I keep for emergency! I buy one dremel a year at walmart for like 25 bucks. I have lots of batteries that stay hot. I would to use a 12 volt drill everyday but of course it is what you get use to. I like not depending on the car for power. Since the ignite come out I do note have a battery in my tool box ! Waiting on rechargeable battery operated drystar ! Then I will never need the keys !
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

That's really strange...my dremel battery holds a charge for a weeks worth of drilling! I charge it every weekend and I'm good to go.
screenman

Post by screenman »

My Dremel seems to last months, I do not use it often I do always carry a spare fully charged battery. 23 years of using a Novus style drill before I changed over, I wish I had done so sooner.
EMCAutoGlass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

I've had a Dremel 4.8v for about a year now and I've never had issues with the battery. Like tk4, I charge it about once a week for good measure and no issues. If you're having problems that quickly, I'd take it back to the store or contact the manufacturer. I haven't seen one with a trigger for variable speeds, just the Hi and Lo settings. if I start having issues, I have my eye on the Dremel 7700 (7.2v). It's more powerful than the 4.8v and will drill quickly without applying much pressure on the glass. I've heard that drill bit lifespan is longer with the 7.2v also. Maybe that's because you're not putting as much pressure on it and the drill does the work for you? You can find a Dremel 7700 at Home Depot for $45 ($17 for an extra battery) or Amazon for around $40. You can find the 12v (auto plug in) version online like Bill said, which would be a good back up. Personally, I don't like dealing with the cords if I don't have to. I'd also recommend drilling some practice glass with a more powerful drill first. The 12v plug-ins and the 7.2v cordless drills go through glass in a hurry.
-Marty
screenman

Post by screenman »

I found the 7.2 too fast and being a bit heavier not as nice to use, I did not notice any increase in bur life when I tried it. As I said earlier even though I use the Dremel on most breaks I seldom drill, I seem to make a bur last a good while.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Not sure why anyone would have trouble holding a dremil? The switch usually has a feel or snap into place when off I'm thinking you are either not turning it of all the way or it's bouncing around the box. Either way they are cheap buy another one for half the price of one repair. I hand size would come into play a little I don't really like the mini.mite it's small for my xxx glove wearing hands I like the bigger lithium
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Screen I found the 7.2 to be to fast as well. I use the 4.8. I drill a lot more than you but I put a bit in and it will last for months. I have not hit laminate in years !
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

GlassStarz wrote: The switch usually has a feel or snap into place when off I'm thinking you are either not turning it of all the way or it's bouncing around the box.
I remove the battery when not in use.
I got tired of it turning on in the box and snagging things.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Mr Bill , I do the same thing ! That is usually how my batteries get run down !