8" crack repair in northeast Ohio

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
shane2177
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

8" crack repair in northeast Ohio

Post by shane2177 »

I live near Cleveland Ohio (area code 44313) and have a 2006 F-350 Super Duty truck and never even noticed the very small chip about halfway up the windshield along the driver side border of the windshield until it was too late and the crack started last week. It is currently about 8" long and extends from the chip directly horizontal across the windshield. I used some clear packing tape across the inside of the windshield and that seems to have stopped it from spreading, but I still need it repaired or the windshield replaced. I have received pretty reasonable windshield replacement quotes but have seen numerous YouTube repair videos of cracks 2-3 times as long as mine so I'm assuming the repair can be made but I still can't get someone (and I've called 8 places now) to even give me an estimate to repair it, all everyone wants to do is replace the windshield. Does this sound like a crack that can be repaired? Does anyone on this forum know anyone in the repair trade in my area that can make this repair? I tried the winshieldreferral website and the only two companies listed reasonably close to me won't repair it - one company's voicemail message states that they are closed from Jan1st until March 1st! I have access to a heated garage where the repair can be made or I can drive the vehicle to them if that's easier.

If windshield replacement is my only option then that's what I'll do, it just seems fishy to me that I see videos of these repairs being made but the only response I can get from local companies is "the repair won't last, just replace the windshield"
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: 8" crack repair in northeast Ohio

Post by screenman »

I cannot help you with somebody to repair it from here, but in future that tape want to be on the outside to stop moisture and dirt getting in. You are lucky it has stopped running the tape has had nothing to do with this. Personally unless the crack is extremely clean and dry I would say in that vehicle a new glass maybe needed.

Whatever you do when describing it to a repair tech do not use an elastic tape measure, I wish you luck in getting it sorted.
shane2177

Post by shane2177 »

Thanks for the response screenman. It would appear you may be right since every glass company I have called agrees with your assessment that new glass is needed. I was hoping someone on this forum might have a contact in the area that would make the repair and I will still wait a few days before I finally succumb to what is looking like an inevitable windshield replacement.

I started a second thread regarding a crude injection process that I am going to try just for S's and G's since I have nothing to lose at this point.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Some companies do offer crack repair, and make a big deal about it. But most repair guys know that the failure rate on crack repair is high. IMO it's bad business. I do it on occasion, but normally just for a friend, or someone who only wants to hold off replacing for a while... and not expecting the repair to last forever.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

I see no reason why an 8 inch crack can not be successfully and permanently repaired.
chrisbear1970

Post by chrisbear1970 »

Try Cee B Glass in Missillon, OH I think they are a certified Glasweld tech....they should be able to repair it.
EMCAutoGlass

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

I am just south of you in Columbus. If you still need the crack repaired, just post a reply or send me a PM. I would be willing to meet you halfway if that's an option for you. I specialize in long cracks and have yet to have one fail. I don't mind a little travel time every now and then to help someone out. Repairing versus replacing keeps the original windshield/seal intact and keeps the glass out of landfills.
Take care.
-Marty
screenman

Post by screenman »

You got me confused by the deep bit, every long crack I repair has gone as deep as it can which is down to the PVB. Are you describing something different?
screenman

Post by screenman »

In terms of thickness and different windshields, there is likely to be less than 1/10 of an inch between the thinnest and the thickest.

Now when something hits a windshield the damage spreads out in a cone shape front to back, see a perfect bullseye for an example of this. Now of course we know not all damage is a bullseye but there is always more damage behind the impact point than the point itself. The cone will not fall out because the pvb stops it from doing so.

When I talk surface or subsurface I am talking about the leg of say a starbreak reaching the surface of the glass or the outside as we see it. With a long crack it is nearly always surface, drag a scribe across it and you will feel it, most small starbreaks are subsurface, but some will maybe have one or more legs that are surface but do not reach back to the pvb, easy to tell when you apply a little pressure with a scribe these will often look like they are closing, unless they go all back and the they may look like they stay much the same. These are all things I teach in training.

If you have a practise glass make a chip right near the side of the glass and you will see exactly what I mean.

Any problems understanding this and I will try again when I have a bit more time.
screenman

Post by screenman »

actually what you said was that EVERY long crack you ever done reaches the pvb, I don't think what you have written here addressed that clearly absolutist statement at all . The comment about what, for example, you teach in training; forgive me, but I am not sure how that has any bearing on the conversation except that possibly you believe I need some.

then you define what a surface crack is by defining it for me? By the way, in practice, I would never drag a carbide scribe across a window, use razorblades instead they tend to leave less marks that way.

thanks for everything screenman.

I think that for sure every long crack I have ever repaired has gone back to the PVB, there is no way you could get a long crack in glass( long being 6 inch plus) without it doing so, the run angle of the break would not allow it. I feel if you have sub surface damage then it will certainly be up against the PVB.

Not sure where you got the carbide scribe bit from so I cannot answer that one.

As for further training, well to be honest we never should stop learning, i hope I never do life would become to boring.

If you prefer I will add you to my list of people who do not want me to answer them.