The skill/equipment/efficiency balance

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
khackett
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

The skill/equipment/efficiency balance

Post by khackett »

Hi, this is my first post, so thanks everybody for your input. I've learned a lot from this forum.

Brief history - As a contractor for a glass repair company, I've done approx 1000 repairs on a simple Poly-lite bridge/plastic injector. Over time I believe I became reasonably skilled (only 2 complaints), but now i'm going into business for myself and am just realizing my equipment/supply options!! (I had to return my kit when I left, and had to really dig to even learn I was using a Poly-lite bridge/injector!!).

With my former kit, I became pretty good at screwing/unscrewing the injector during the repair, sometimes using a lighter to distribute the resin. My business depends on speed and efficiency, not necessarily the perfect repair, but I also took great pride in getting the repair done as best as possible. I'd say on average, with my kit and abilities, I'd fill a crack to 80% capacity. I'm the first to admit they weren't perfect, but a lot of repairs were darn close, and I had a lot of thrilled customers!

Just like a lot of you, I'm trying to strike a balance between efficiency and quality. I realize upgrading to a steel injector is a no-brainer, but beyond that I'm a bit stuck. I see these rocket-science injectors, and am impressed, but my first notion is - it's unnecessary. I need to hit the road running, so a similar system seems to make sense to me, so I'm leaning on another Poly-Lite bridge with a steel injector.

I'm "mostly" comfortable with this decision. I do see these GlasWeld and Liquid Resin and GT injectors, and believe they do great repairs, but for the simple cracks I deal with, a simpler setup is sufficient.

This is where I'm stuck. I see nice UB and Delta injectors, but I also see The Windshield Doctor, and other less expensive steel injectors. I like the idea of accomplishing a better vacuum without screwing and unscrewing, but I also don't mind this process. If I can accomplish just a little more quality and speed than before, I'd be thrilled, but I also don't want to over-think it or chance a junk setup!

I realize many of the answers coming will say just to get a DeltaKit, or another quality kit, and I'll be fine. I agree - if I had the funds. I'm on a shoe-string budget, and I know what I had before will work fine (that's just $120!). I'm willing to spend a little more on a better injector. (I won't short-change my resin for sure if ur wondering)

One example of a question I have - Should I just get this steel injector off of Ebay for $50 and call it a day, or should I spend the $75 bucks on the Windshield Doctor injector?

I recognize I could very well be missing something, like "will these injectors even fit the Poly-Lite bridge?", so ANY input is incredibly appreciated!!

Ready.... GO
bill lambeth

Re: The skill/equipment/efficiency balance

Post by bill lambeth »

You need to use what makes you comfortable ! The key is not whether it is Delta or LR ! The key is your skills and resin.
Simple is best ! As far the hole size for the bridge I am pretty sure most are 1/2 in and maybe few 9/16. I use the QT from LR and it is 9/16. You cannot beat the customer service from Delta and LR ! Both Brent and Jim are very good men and I love what they stand for!
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Im a big fan of LR and the resinator you are going to need a couple injectors why not buy one of each its not like you wont use them both. If what you are useing requires flame to do a repair you are not doing it right. Throw the lighter away.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I use the Delta alloy flip bridge with alloy injector, I have unlike many tried and used most others out there.

I am extremely worried about your attitude to repairs, 80% filled and the use of heat smacks of not quite being trained properly. Along with this trying to start up underfunded is also the route to failure.

I wish you luck.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

I'm trying to strike a balance between efficiency and quality.
I don't know you, nor the position you're in, but I would say ''an investement is an investment, just plan it wisely''.
To me, Initial investements are never an issue. In fact I don't care for money at all.
Also, it's not so much about ''the system'' itself. Most out there are good so that shouldn't be an issue.
What does matter are factors such as (random order):
-Convenience (my own),
-Reputation,
-Warranty,
-Support,
-Look and feel,
-What do I WANT and NEED?
etc.

Why worry about money? Considering the money you're planning to generate (am I right?), the initial price is really peanuts when broken down per job.
I am working with 7+ GW stainless steel injectors, Curing Lights, UV Shields (the whole 9 yrds) and purchased these products some seventeen years ago.
I performed many, many good quality repairs ... and the price per repair has dropped (by now) under 1 cent per job (tool wise).
How much lower would one go? I knew instantly that I would be in this for the long run. So, there you go: who cares for the initial investment? I don't.
If you want something, you'll find the money.

But even with all the money in the world, there are just a few tiny little things you can't buy, it are make-or-break factors like:
Drive. Craftmenship. Endurance and results. Customers.
Good luck.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Frank, I will add to that list a good WSR forum like this one.
khackett

Post by khackett »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Let me amend my initial post. Keep in mind I've been using a $15 dollar plastic injector. It served me well, but they are cheap. My second one's thread fit between the injector and cylinder was so bad it was useless. I think you'd agree it's time for an upgrade.

Clarification - When I say I use a lighter, it's typically only for the tight legs that resin isn't reaching. That's probably 1/10th of my repairs. And when I said 80% fill, I was trying to be conservative, but I won't deny more training could be useful!

I also have a proven business model, success at it, but I appreciate the feedback all the same! I'm really just looking for injector-related advice. I would like to achieve a better vacuum, but I don't want to deviate much from what I'm doing. If you're somebody who has strong opinions about some of the advanced injectors, I do appreciate your experience, but like I said before, I need to hit the ground running, and am looking at the simpler 2-piece (excluding seals) injectors.

I absolutely welcome videos or other resources concerning this type of injector as well.

Best Regards
screenman

Post by screenman »

Heat close the legs up, unless you use a heat sink it will not help resin flow into them. Try it on your practise glass, make a small starbreak and warm it up, there you have it an 80% repair with no resin needed at all.

With the business model and sales skills you already have which is a good starting point, then I would suggest borrowing some money and getting set up properly with quality tools from the start.

As I posted earlier I have used and trained people on a lot of different kits, most do a good job, however I like the integrity and honesty along with hard work that Delta bring to our trade, just look at this forum, most other companies tried and failed to get one going, this tells me something about Delta.

You do not need bells and whistles or high volumes of vacuum to do a good job, you need skills and patience along with a neat light weight alloy hydraulic injector, at least that is what I have found.
masterchip

Post by masterchip »

Screenman was right on with his last post. If you cheapen the quality of your equipment you will cheapen the quality of your work. Develop your skills with good equipment, learn patience and your customers will call you back for their next repair.
khackett

Post by khackett »

Thanks guys. I will have a nice kit and I will remain open to becoming a better repairer, thanks! I obviously invited a wide spectrum of advice. What I'm really looking for is input on two piece screw injectors. If you're not a fan of this type of injector, I'm ok with that! For those of you who like two-piece injectors, WELCOME! I would love to hear your input! I'm intrigued by both the UB and Delta units, but also think something more simple like what The Windshield Doctor offers - would be fine. Let me know! Are there other 2-piece models out there I should consider? Do you know of good videos out there? AWESOME! Great forum!