Building Your Retail Windshield Repair Business

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
cleanerimage

Re: Building Your Retail Windshield Repair Business

Post by cleanerimage »

WOW this is a really great thread about selling retail customers!! Lets see if we can continue sharing ideas and methods that have worked for us.
CHARM
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by CHARM »

WOW I'm new to WSR and im so glad that I came across this post, I am trying to learn everything that I can and I practice repairs every night on broken windshields that I get from mygrant. David do you have a copy of the letter that you fax
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

This thread es ten years old used it and changed my buisness style back then. Hope David is ok last I knew he was waiting for a Kidney
CHARM

Post by CHARM »

I hope he's doing ok thank you for the info. Is there any advice that you can give me as a newbie in the WSR
EMCAutoGlass

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

Greetings all,

I have only been in the WSR business for about 6 months, and only part time. However, I have found a few marketing strategies that have worked, and a few that haven't. The most profitable for me has been working at a local carwash. I like it because I don't have to keep driving from lot to lot, and the customers come to me. I coordinated with the owner to set up my canopy tent and roadside sign (Free Windshield Chip/Crack Repair) at the front of the lot. I talk to each person that pulls in and offer a free windshield inspection and ask if they have any concerns. If they have a chip, they immediately point to it and I go through the usually sales pitch. I've been doing this for only about a month, couple days a week in the afternoons, and Saturdays for only 3-4 hours. I haven't had a chip go un-repaired and 98% of the customers are appreciative whether they need a repair or not. I have flyers made and hand some of them out, and I've had a few referrals from those. During my 3-4 hours on Saturdays, I generally get 3-5 repairs. Not a ton, but it's $150-$250 bucks in only a few hours.

Last week I went to State Farm's "Agent Locator" online and mapped out 18 different State Farm agents in my suburban Columbus, Ohio area. I had some 8"x11" flyers made and drove to each agent and talked to the secretaries at each one. I also left a business card. I told them that I would like to offer 10% off to all of their State Farm policy holders. State Farm doesn't waive deductibles and I figured most policy holders with a deductible call their agent for a referral. This marketing trip took about half the day, 68 miles, and about $5 to have the flyers printed. I've had one referral so far, but I'm hoping more will roll in. Either way, I made my money back after only one job.

If you have a website, be sure to set it up with Google Places. Yahoo has business listings too. Only had a few jobs from either, but it's better than no online presence.
I have not had one call from anyone finding my ad on yp.com "Yellow Pages" (it's still worth having the free listing on yp.com, just don't pay for anything extra). I have put about 300 flyers under windshield wipers with zero calls. Won't be doing that anymore. You guys have confirmed that as well.

I'm thinking about going to some car dealerships and possibly trying to gain some fleet work. Anyone have any tips or tricks for either of these? I've talked to a few folks from different rental agencies and they say they have contracts with Safelite, so that usually stalls pretty quick.

Thanks for reading! Please keep this thread going. Marketing tips and tricks are always welcome, especially for newbies like me.

-Marty
Wayneious

Post by Wayneious »

EMCAutoGlass wrote:Greetings all,

I have only been in the WSR business for about 6 months, and only part time. However, I have found a few marketing strategies that have worked, and a few that haven't. The most profitable for me has been working at a local carwash. I like it because I don't have to keep driving from lot to lot, and the customers come to me. I coordinated with the owner to set up my canopy tent and roadside sign (Free Windshield Chip/Crack Repair) at the front of the lot. I talk to each person that pulls in and offer a free windshield inspection and ask if they have any concerns. If they have a chip, they immediately point to it and I go through the usually sales pitch. I've been doing this for only about a month, couple days a week in the afternoons, and Saturdays for only 3-4 hours. I haven't had a chip go un-repaired and 98% of the customers are appreciative whether they need a repair or not. I have flyers made and hand some of them out, and I've had a few referrals from those. During my 3-4 hours on Saturdays, I generally get 3-5 repairs. Not a ton, but it's $150-$250 bucks in only a few hours.

Last week I went to State Farm's "Agent Locator" online and mapped out 18 different State Farm agents in my suburban Columbus, Ohio area. I had some 8"x11" flyers made and drove to each agent and talked to the secretaries at each one. I also left a business card. I told them that I would like to offer 10% off to all of their State Farm policy holders. State Farm doesn't waive deductibles and I figured most policy holders with a deductible call their agent for a referral. This marketing trip took about half the day, 68 miles, and about $5 to have the flyers printed. I've had one referral so far, but I'm hoping more will roll in. Either way, I made my money back after only one job.

If you have a website, be sure to set it up with Google Places. Yahoo has business listings too. Only had a few jobs from either, but it's better than no online presence.
I have not had one call from anyone finding my ad on yp.com "Yellow Pages" (it's still worth having the free listing on yp.com, just don't pay for anything extra). I have put about 300 flyers under windshield wipers with zero calls. Won't be doing that anymore. You guys have confirmed that as well.

I'm thinking about going to some car dealerships and possibly trying to gain some fleet work. Anyone have any tips or tricks for either of these? I've talked to a few folks from different rental agencies and they say they have contracts with Safelite, so that usually stalls pretty quick.

Thanks for reading! Please keep this thread going. Marketing tips and tricks are always welcome, especially for newbies like me.

-Marty
Great advice and work.

From a development standpoint Marty you don't know where what will lead you and so doing everything you can will benefit greatly.

You are always going to go up against the 800 pound gorillas such as safelite but when you look at the figures, 50'ish an hour on those Saturdays?

C'Mon now...money in the bank!

Keep up the work.
"Success is my duty, responsibility and obligation to myself" - Grant Cardone
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Not sure about yours but in most states it is ilegal for insurance agents to give referrals
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

I would not give up on the rental agencies. Not sure how it is there but the rental agencies here leave the decision up to the regional manager! And, none of them were happy with their "national" account provider. If possible, tell them you'll be there to look at the vehicles a certain day of the week and that you'll provide same day service when they call you for a repair. Price may or may not be a factor if you follow my above suggestion. I go to the 3 major agencies every Mon. and Fri. and whenever they call, plus I'm able to work in their garage whenever needed. The price I charge them is the lowest of my range only because I need to stay competitive with the Boston (Logan) area and the volume is great.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

I have work for the largest rental car company in the world for 8 years . It is tough though because of the low price with the calls where you only get one car. Rental is a numbers game ! I have 12 branchs and I know sooner or later I am going to hit honey hole. You have to be diligent with this and of course anything if you want to succeed !
brentcarrie

Post by brentcarrie »

Thanks for all the great info in this post! I know the post is several years old however, it is still assisting us today! We are just purchasing our first kit and starting a new business for us. Thanks for all the advice! :-)