How many pads do you use?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
stetsonxd
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

How many pads do you use?

Post by stetsonxd »

I am newer to HLR and wondering how many pads you guys are using for a pair of headlights? I know some may be harder than others, but average figures for a pair of headlights. Is it like one pad of each grit for each headlight or do you use the same pad on both headlights?

Thanks
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: How many pads do you use?

Post by t4k »

Same pad for both lights. Just keep your pads clean (dry sanding) or you will start to get pigtails.
stetsonxd

Post by stetsonxd »

oh ok i was under the impression you use one pad of each grit for each headlight. thats good to know thanks
candyman

Post by candyman »

If you are using DK's method; For most headlights you only need one pad for each size rquired for both headlights. If I start on the left with the 320, I will start the next size pad on the right with the 500. This method seems to work best for me. Alternating sanding ensures each lens is sanded and smooth. I wipe the lenes down between pads to reduce pigtails. I clean the lens prior to using the 1500 & 3000. You will see what Iam talking about after you have done several. You will always have a few HLR that you will need 2 or more of the 180 or 320 pads to get to the surface of the lens.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

candyman wrote: For most headlights you only need one pad for each size rquired for both headlights. If I start on the left with the 320, I will start the next size pad on the right with the 500.
Same here!
stetsonxd

Post by stetsonxd »

Thanks for the replies guys, thats a lot of help.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

candyman wrote:If you are using DK's method; For most headlights you only need one pad for each size rquired for both headlights. If I start on the left with the 320, I will start the next size pad on the right with the 500. This method seems to work best for me. Alternating sanding ensures each lens is sanded and smooth. I wipe the lenes down between pads to reduce pigtails. I clean the lens prior to using the 1500 & 3000. You will see what Iam talking about after you have done several. You will always have a few HLR that you will need 2 or more of the 180 or 320 pads to get to the surface of the lens.
Excellent. We do the same thing. Thats never been mentioned here as far as I can remember
Paul Weinstein