Potential first HLR of me. Porsche 996

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
mobilejay
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Potential first HLR of me. Porsche 996

Post by mobilejay »

I have a client with a 996 that says his headlights are I'm terrible shape. I looked at them and they were not as bad as I imagined. Would the infinity kit make these brand new again? I am really wanting to purchase this kit and add this process to my detailing.

candyman

Re: Potential first HLR of me. Porsche 996

Post by candyman »

NONE of the kits makes a headlight brand new. They improve the appearance. You sometimes will get a "like New " finish , but it is not new.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

I would not let this car be my learning process. Get some experience under your belt prior to working on a Porsche. :shock:

These headlights are not any different than another car but the owners are much less forgiving when it comes to imperfections.
stetsonxd

Post by stetsonxd »

I would hold off on these lights for now as they are not to bad. Get a kit and get some experience under your belt first. Doing a headlight that is very hazed will show a huge difference. once you have experience you can move to these. You will be able to clear them up and shine them up but make the customer aware that these are not as bad as most headlights. Until you feel comfortable i would hold off because if he is not happy with the result he may want new headlights! :(
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I've done a couple of those. They are not a typical, easy job. Factory coating is tough to sand and any flaws will be visible more than most vehicles because of the position/type of lights. Not to mention that the coating must be applied perfectly unless you don't mind seeing smears and streaks. (maybe ok on a daily driver, but not a babied sports car) Infinity applies pretty easy, but it's trickier on odd shaped lights.... practice on a few easier jobs would be recommended.
mobilejay

Post by mobilejay »

Thanks for the replies. He is already prepared to buy new lights, I told him there was a kit that I could buy and work on them. I did say that I wanted to practice first and he said, "practice on these". Lol

I didn't mean "new" but yes, a like new appearance.

I will most likely get some junk yard lights to mess with first. Thanks again.
candyman

Post by candyman »

If you use the DK method , you will need very little practice to get th results you need. Take your time and dont start out higher than 4 on the orbital sander. Once you are comfortable with it you can start at 4 or 5. Polish at 5 or 6. You will learn and gain valuable knowledge each time you do a set of HLs. I still learn new things and develope techniques after 4 years of doing them. I earned $100 the first day I tried it, without practice. I followed the instructions provided by DK. I do recommend that you do at least one set prior to doingt that guys vehicle so you will be more comfortable with the equipment and 4.1 mix. Remember 4 to 1 ratio when mixing for bigger headlight. Seldom do i use more than 8ml of milk & 2ml of the clear. Dont make the mistake of going back over a missed spot untill it dries. Best advice; take your time sanding and mixing your chem. TAPE and double tape before starting. Look at some of the videos, 3m blue tape has been the best for me. Sometimes I will use another color on top so I can see if iam hiting the tape with the edge of the orbital sander. WEt the tape down prior to removing it. Reduces the change of pulling the paint film up from old cars or damaged bumpers that have been improperly repainted. Good luck.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

glassdoctor wrote:I've done a couple of those. They are not a typical, easy job. Factory coating is tough to sand and any flaws will be visible more than most vehicles because of the position/type of lights. Not to mention that the coating must be applied perfectly unless you don't mind seeing smears and streaks. (maybe ok on a daily driver, but not a babied sports car) Infinity applies pretty easy, but it's trickier on odd shaped lights.... practice on a few easier jobs would be recommended.
Cant agree more. I havent don't a 996, but Ive done a few Boxters and Ill tell ya I cringe when I have to. The OEM clear is tough to take off.
Paul Weinstein
mobilejay

Post by mobilejay »

Thanks candyman, yes I plan to practice on a set or two before actually doing his lights.

Another question, is it possible to sand too much? When it comes to paint, I have a paint meter that tells me how much clear is on a vehicle. If I Wetsand or polish too much, there's no going back. Is it the same with HLR?
candyman

Post by candyman »

I've never used a meter. After doing hundreds , its a feel and look of the lens Iam after. After the first 2 pads it should be cloudy, and a smooth uniformity to the lens. After I clean the lens and prior to using the 1500 it should be ready. If not, sometimes I may back up and use a 600 or 800 disc. Some vehicles like Dodge rams, have odd shape lenses and need more sanding in curves or valley areas. As you gain more experience you wll know what Iam talking about. You can sand too much or burn a hole in it if you are not carefull. I use to do some auto body repair when I was younger. After you fill, wet sand & prime, you run your palm over it. Its the feel of smoothness and texture. Thats sort of what I am looking for, but we dry sand headlights. Some do wet sand. They also get great results. DKs method is dry sand. Not as messy.