dirty chip's tip filling, but not leg's middle

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Dr.Chipster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: dirty chip's tip filling, but not leg's middle

Post by Dr.Chipster »

screenman wrote:I am sorry but that is not a repair, nothing like it. Hopefully it was only on a practise glass, if that sort of damage is presenting a problem then maybe back to the people that trained you would be a good idea.

Your work area and tools look dirty, not a good idea in this trade, it looks from here like water may have been present ( difficult to be sure) looking back at another of your post you mentioned not knowing much about drying out, what UV protection did you use?

It is unlikely a long leg like that would be dirty, center of a combination maybe but not long thin legs. I would say you did not dry it properly and did not protect it from UV properly. But as I said earlier difficult to see from here.

Please for the sake of all of us, go back and practise, buy some new tools, tidy up and do it properly. I had a guy in for training yesterday and he was top side of that repair in the first hour.

This all sounds harsh I know, but we have to be real and sometimes the truth hurts. This trade is bursting with people who cannot do simple jobs like this one, or even start to understand why is does not look right, quality training stops this.

I know I will get beaten for speaking my mind, but so be it.

Yep Screenman is not afraid to tell you what he thinks, sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. In this case, I agree. At least...No, follow his advice completely. Delete the video too.
impala-renegade
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by impala-renegade »

Brent Deines wrote: I've been reading the responses to your post and I am confused about something. I think others may be confused about this as well. I assumed from your original post that the video was of the damage before you repaired it. Was my assumption correct or was the video showing the completed repair? Thank you in advance for your clarification.

This video was shot in the middle of my repair.. The resin was still liquid. I went on to drill and tap bullseyes/fill the tips.
screenman

Post by screenman »

If the video was shot in the middle of the repair you had no UV protection going on. When you flexed that leg it opened up nicely, I guess what had happened is that you did not use enough UV protection, this set the the resin stopping it from running. Just a guess though.
impala-renegade

Well I filled as much as I could, and then took off my uv shield to take the shot!

I wish I would have flexed the legs before filling into the chip; so I could note any differences from before/after.. I guess we'll never know now.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Do you not flex the legs when filling?
impala-renegade

I do.. The question I'm having is if having the tip disappear after letting go, on these dirty chips, means enough resin had got there. It looked like the end was filled possibly.. I didn't think the tips would dissspear and reappear like that if they weren't filled. That was my question.
screenman

Post by screenman »

How long do you hold the flex for, you should be cross referencing and seeing the flow.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Just my 2 cents but I flex under pressure and vacuum ! Make sure you looks at legs real good before you start. Most chips I see will fill with out flexing but then it takes longer! I do make a habit to gently poke around a little . This is not brain surgery ! It is or it is not filled !
screenman

Post by screenman »

Bill, I think we have to assume the guy had very poor if any training, which if the former is not his fault. So to some it is rocket science.

All of us should be pre-checking, cross referencing, flexing but many taking repairs off of us have never been shown these basic skill, along with uv protections, drying out etc.