Been looking for that perfect owner/operator business.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
pa glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Been looking for that perfect owner/operator business.

Post by pa glass »

I don't think even one of you actually read this guy's post. He didn't mention repair. He saw his back window replaced, not a repair. The idea that repair is "the easy part" is ridiculous when it concerns replacement. He would have to work with a replacement company for at least a year to get a handle on how to remove and install all the different types of trim and different situations for windshields. Repair you can do okay by reading and seeing a video and trying it on a couple of friend's cars first and then dive in. Not so with replacement.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

pa glass wrote: Repair you can do okay by reading and seeing a video and trying it on a couple of friend's cars first and then dive in.
This statement alone, shows why this industry is full of people who can hack up a w/s repair.
screenman

Post by screenman »

pa, I read this line for sure.

I'm craving flexible hours and variety in my work locations. Since I work best alone and understand the basic idea of how windshield repair works, and not to forget the relatively low cost for startup, it seems this might be the right route.

As for learning your method of learning I beg to differ, I imagine one would have very little grasp of how to repair a windshield properly using your precribed training methods.
t4k

Post by t4k »

pa glass wrote:I don't think even one of you actually read this guy's post. He didn't mention repair. He saw his back window replaced, not a repair. The idea that repair is "the easy part" is ridiculous when it concerns replacement. He would have to work with a replacement company for at least a year to get a handle on how to remove and install all the different types of trim and different situations for windshields. Repair you can do okay by reading and seeing a video and trying it on a couple of friend's cars first and then dive in. Not so with replacement.
Maybe you should read the fourth sentence in this guy's original post!!
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

t4 this is my second attempt to reply. First one didn't go through.
I do see where the fellow said about repair but he started referring to a replacement. Either way I didn't mean to for you to infer that I thought there is nothing to learning to repair but honestly it isn't brain surgery. Mostly it's decent equipment and patients. You seem to suggest that my method of learning is the stuff "hacks" are made of. That would be reading about techniques watching some video of proper technique and practice with actual installed windshields on willing friends and, sure, you might try to work on a couple in a yard as well. At some point though and you must agree, you just have to work on your first real customer weather that customer is aware or not. The only better way would be to work for a repair company for a couple months but he may not have that option. So my method, READING, VIEWING,PRACTICE will make a hack. Let's review what you thought were the only important points to be concerned with-

Are you good at sales?

Are you a people person?

Do you like working with the public?

Learning to repair a w/s is the easy part!!

Good luck at whatever you try.

All about his appearance and not one mention of actually learning the trade. Now which method again might create a "hack"/
TravLikesGuitar

Post by TravLikesGuitar »

I feel like I should clarify. My goal is to provide quality glass repair AND replacement for front back and sides, as well as any other services I can do well like dent removal, headlights. Really I'm just in the planning stages so many of my ideas are still rather vague.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Do you do dent removal now?
TravLikesGuitar

Post by TravLikesGuitar »

I need, and will be seeking out good training, certification, and anything else I can do to make sure I'm doing the actual job right.