Been looking for that perfect owner/operator business.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
TravLikesGuitar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Been looking for that perfect owner/operator business.

Post by TravLikesGuitar »

For years I've been quietly looking for a one man business to start so I can end my time in medical office jobs. After getting the rear glass replaced on my car and talking to the tech a bit I'm thinking this may be the perfect gig.
I'm craving flexible hours and variety in my work locations. Since I work best alone and understand the basic idea of how windshield repair works, and not to forget the relatively low cost for startup, it seems this might be the right route.

So, am I batdung crazy?
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Been looking for that perfect owner/operator business.

Post by t4k »

TravLikesGuitar wrote:For years I've been quietly looking for a one man business to start so I can end my time in medical office jobs. After getting the rear glass replaced on my car and talking to the tech a bit I'm thinking this may be the perfect gig.
I'm craving flexible hours and variety in my work locations. Since I work best alone and understand the basic idea of how windshield repair works, and not to forget the relatively low cost for startup, it seems this might be the right route.

So, am I batdung crazy?
Are you good at sales?

Are you a people person?

Do you like working with the public?

Learning to repair a w/s is the easy part!!

Good luck at whatever you try.
TravLikesGuitar

Customer Service is my gig in the medical offices. I'd like to think I'm great with people and have the drive to build both fleet/corporate and personal customer bases. Just spending my time learning everything I can about how to successfully start up a business.
TravLikesGuitar

My hope is to start my business while still working 3/4 time at my current job. So many things to figure out thought. Intimidating for a first timer.
t4k

Post by t4k »

TravLikesGuitar wrote:Customer Service is my gig in the medical offices. I'd like to think I'm great with people and have the drive to build both fleet/corporate and personal customer bases. Just spending my time learning everything I can about how to successfully start up a business.
Sounds like you may do fine in this business. Good luck!
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Customer Service is a much different thing than Salesmanship
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Glass said a mouthful for sure ! You better be good at cold calling and have thick skin! Dog eat dog world out here!
TravLikesGuitar

I'm under no illusion that it would be "easy" work at all. That's one reason I'm here. To learn as much as I can before jumping in head first. :)
screenman

Post by screenman »

All I can say is that WSR has given me a great lifestyle and after 25 years I still enjoy the trade.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I started out doing repair only but in my (rural) local market, I soon turned to full replacement. I still prefer repair due to the profitability. As others have said, it's all about sales and salesmanship. I'm pretty coy but once you get going, you get rolling and you can't stop. It will make you money and excite you. Just as a security blanket, I'd start it off while still working your full time gig so you don't bite off more than you can chew. I am currently a full time Sheriff's Deputy and Coroner and will be very well established in my WSR and replacement business when I retire. I look forward to it very much. I love the positive interactions with people as opposed to the tragedies I intervene in during the other grind. Commit yourself to working 7 days a week for a while, get your groove down pat, and you'll do great!! Good luck, friend.