Door to Door HLR

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
DeLand Headlights
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Door to Door HLR

Post by DeLand Headlights »

So, if you've been in this biz for awhile, as I have, you've probably noticed that it's not easy to keep busy and make a living. Changes in the industry such as DIY kits and bottles of goop (that don't work) have given our whole industry a black-eye, and screwed us all. Not to mention the sluggish economy that has made it really tough to find new customers, or even keep the customers we have. Let's face it, HLR is at the very bottom of "to do list" for most people. I have noticed that HLR is pretty much an impulse sale to the retail side of the business. How many times have you spoken with an interested prospect and had them take a biz card and say they "I'll call you back to set an appointment", and you never hear from them again? All the time, right? Why doesn't advertising work? Because it is an IMPULSE SALE! As soon as that prospect gets in front of computer and googles "headlight restoration"...it's over. Well, it occurred to me recently that door to door might be a great way to sell HLR services. I finally got up the nerve to try it today, and... IT WORKED!!! I went door to door to a few businesses this morning. Just got in my car and drove around a bit, stopping at businesses where I saw a vehicle with crappy headlights that could use HLR. My first 4 attempts were all friendly and interested, and asked me for a card (I'll probably never get a call back), but at the 5th stop I made there was a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire in the parking lot (always bad headlights in FL). I went inside with a half-and-half sample in-hand, introduced myself, asked if I could be of service, and got the job. I also picked up a 2nd vehicle/job while I was working on the Crossfire! Of course nobody wants to sell door to door, but from my small experiment this morning I would conclude that it works. Door-to door...FOR THE WIN!!! I'll keep you all informed of how things progress as I move forward.
salvatoreali

Re: Door to Door HLR

Post by salvatoreali »

Do you know why coldcalling often works no matter what you are selling?
Because the average businessman is terrified to do it!
Sensitive to rejection?Simply accept the fact that if it takes 10 coldcalls to get one repair then each rejection is one step closer to a sale. Ask for referrals.
RyanCoker

Re: Door to Door HLR

Post by RyanCoker »

DeLand Headlights wrote:So, if you've been in this biz for awhile, as I have, you've probably noticed that it's not easy to keep busy and make a living. Changes in the industry such as DIY kits and bottles of goop (that don't work) have given our whole industry a black-eye, and screwed us all. Not to mention the sluggish economy that has made it really tough to find new customers, or even keep the customers we have. Let's face it, HLR is at the very bottom of "to do list" for most people. I have noticed that HLR is pretty much an impulse sale to the retail side of the business. How many times have you spoken with an interested prospect and had them take a biz card and say they "I'll call you back to set an appointment", and you never hear from them again? All the time, right? Why doesn't advertising work? Because it is an IMPULSE SALE! As soon as that prospect gets in front of computer and googles "headlight restoration"...it's over. Well, it occurred to me recently that door to door might be a great way to sell HLR services. I finally got up the nerve to try it today, and... IT WORKED!!! I went door to door to a few businesses this morning. Just got in my car and drove around a bit, stopping at businesses where I saw a vehicle with crappy headlights that could use HLR. My first 4 attempts were all friendly and interested, and asked me for a card (I'll probably never get a call back), but at the 5th stop I made there was a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire in the parking lot (always bad headlights in FL). I went inside with a half-and-half sample in-hand, introduced myself, asked if I could be of service, and got the job. I also picked up a 2nd vehicle/job while I was working on the Crossfire! Of course nobody wants to sell door to door, but from my small experiment this morning I would conclude that it works. Door-to door...FOR THE WIN!!! I'll keep you all informed of how things progress as I move forward.

As always, great work dude, quite beneficial suggestions to both beginners and experts. Really appreciable