Insurance Companies or not?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
anttracker

Insurance Companies or not?

Post by anttracker »

Hello everyone, I'm taking the plunge into working for myself in windshield repair and headlight restoration full time. Should I even bother with the headaches of insurance companies or should I just stick to auto dealers and fleet accounts. I only want to make a decent wage every week. Can you guys help me out with some input, thanks and God Bless.
bill lambeth

Re: Insurance Companies or not?

Post by bill lambeth »

I would say take whatever you can get to satisfy your needs. The process of insurance is not that bad like anything else it has it's bad and good. You will have to find YOUR nich develop it.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

So you buy a kit and Bingo you start doing Fleet and Car Lot work? cool of course these are the two areas with the most competiton thus the hardest to get and keep once you do :o not quite sure you understand what you are looking at here :) A wide area of places including the occasional ins job is my advice :P
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Glass I totally agree.I dont fool with car lots because there looking for the cheapest price they can find.That is just me personally .I stumble into usually one insurance job a day or cash .My bread winner is the largest rental car company in the world .Mixture is good!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I find car lots offer good business and mine are happy to pay for quality work. Yes they take a bit of selling to get but once you have proved you are better than the rest they tend to stay with you.

Being better is more than just offering top quality repairs.
MichaelSmedley
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by MichaelSmedley »

I find the whole insurance referral concept interesting. The windscreen industry feels the same pinch from these institutes in Australia too.

Personally, I feel insurance contracting can be a good thing for your business. However, any agreement your company has with another should be an agreement of both parties. As far as I can see, insurance contracting seems more like a one way demand. Price demand, service demand, quality demand, but no guarantees. You take the all risk and take only a margin of your own profits. If you agree with the price, service, and quality demands, only then should you agree to contract. If not, then submit some of your own terms.

Again personally, I would recommend standing on your own two feet, contracting only to insurance groups is not to dissimilar to working as an employee of another company. Only as an employee you will have less headaches.
Delta Kits Distributor Australia
Service 8® Windscreens