Crack Repair Question

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ministry4u
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Crack Repair Question

Post by ministry4u »

Recently due to the cold I have been using a lighter more than usual. On a job I did yesterday, I could see the resin easily flowing as I heated the area in front of the flowing resin. Great right?....Well, after a minute or so the crack regained a partially unfilled appearance. It looked nothing like it did when heating. No resin was leaking and it would regain its filled appearnce if i re applied heat to the partially filled area. My question I guess ultimately is - did the repair fill. A guess I came up with is I was possibly heating the area so much I created moisture, giving it a filled look. Anyway, any previous experience or feedback would be helpful. Thanks you in advance! :roll:
SuperGlassDave
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Crack Repair Question

Post by SuperGlassDave »

By heating the glass you are probably just expanding the glass and it is closing from the expansion. When it cools down, it will be back open. You probably got no resin into it, just mistakenly thought the glass closing up was resin fill. - David Casey - SuperGlass
screenman

Post by screenman »

Yep! just as SGD says. Simple test on your practise glass make a small star and warm it up, stand back and observe. You will find the legs will close on its own, now wait and see how long without a heatsink they take to open back up again. On tests I carried out I could close a leg with heat and 4 hours later it was still closed.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Not a big fan of heat! I will use at last resort if the star will not fill.
screenman

Post by screenman »

If I have a star that will not fill I try the heatsink. Cold glass contracts making the space in the legs larger(this does not mean longer), only when I have tried every trick will I turn to heat and then only on a vacuum phase followed by cooling whilst under pressure again.
DavidCook

Post by DavidCook »

Durring a repair when a lighter is used the customer usually has bad reactions. We try to avoid it.
Certifications:
Sika Urethane
Dow Chemical
Dinitrol
CRL Lawrence
Glasweld
Glass Technology
Liquid Resins
Glass Mechanix
OSHA 10
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

I never use heat as a tool to move resin. Only for drying wet damage.
puka pau

Post by puka pau »

Screenman, Sunshine WR, and Bill Lambeth all prefer cold glass to warm glass. By logical extension this would indicate that the colder the glass the easier the repair. So, guys, does this mean that given a choice you all would prefer, say, -20F (-57.6C) glass rather than +75F (+57.4C)? Personally, I prefer the Goldilocks approach: not too hot, not too cold - but just right. If that means warming or cooling the glass to achieve an optimum temperature range, so be it.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

I didn't say I prefer cold glass .
puka pau

Post by puka pau »

Sunshine;

You said you don't use heat to move resin. In your experience does resin flow as easily through -20F glass as it does through +75F glass?

Cheers;

Puka Pau