RV repairs...

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Shurte
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

RV repairs...

Post by Shurte »

Ive gotten an opportunity to go into a couple of the large RV parks in my area that get lots of traffic. It appears that the bulk of RV owners are insured through Good Sam. Ive got a call into a local Good Sam representitive but Im looking for some aditional information. The bulk of my repairs have been on passanger vehilces, and paid through the networks.

Im wondering if someone might be able to tell me what I might expect going into the RV side of WSR? Do they use a network? How does it pay? Really just anything you think might be pertinent would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
pommy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: RV repairs...

Post by pommy »

Hi Shurte,

You may find that you get a lot of vertical glass - not sure if you have worked on it before, but it can be tricky, depending on what kit you use ;)

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nomad »

Glass on modern motor homes is thicker than auto glass. It is more difficult to flex with a probe. Most RVers will have a ladder to reach the top of the glass but I always make sure that I have my own just in case. A six footer is minimum. Most chips will be in the bottom portion of the W/s but once in a while there will be one right on the top. It is vertical glass, as pommy mentioned.

Insurance is pretty much the same as autos, they use mostly the same networks and if you are familiar with autos then you shouldn't have a problem. Unfortunately they do not pay more than a glass repair on a car, even though you are working on something that may be worth ten times as much. Some of the older motor homes with the more swept back glass are very difficult to access.

Don't fall off the ladder!!!!
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

RV repairs...

by Shurte » 21 Jan 2013 16:56

Ive gotten an opportunity to go into a couple of the large RV parks in my area that get lots of traffic. It appears that the bulk of RV owners are insured through Good Sam. Ive got a call into a local Good Sam representitive but Im looking for some aditional information. The bulk of my repairs have been on passanger vehilces, and paid through the networks.

Im wondering if someone might be able to tell me what I might expect going into the RV side of WSR? Do they use a network? How does it pay? Really just anything you think might be pertinent would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

OK I am here to help you after possibly thousands of motorhome windshield repairs at camp grounds and RV rallies all aound the country from Perry GA. to Pamona CA, Gillett WY. and Rayne LA. and all between since Sept 2001. . Still do some in LA. and TX. but ol' Bill and the motorhome are getting older and reluctant to do much on ladder.
So first thing being short I had to find a good sturdy ladder with wide comfortable steps and a painters tray to hold kit. Also the tray braces will hold the curing lamp power cord without having to get down. In my kit (or bag) I can feel and find resins, injectors, curing light etc. easily without even having to look.
I have found repairs exactly the same as any other w/s, cracks or whatever. Only differance on vertical w/s's is to add just a little upward angle to injector to allow resin a bit of downward slope, a little will do.
On insurance Good Sam I think now underwrites G.M.A.C. which is now going through HSG for glass claims and only pays $50.00 and I have found to be slow at times.
Also many owners have State Farm that of course only pays in 19 states.
Now, if you feel qualified to climb up a ladder and do repairs on a $2700 to $3500 one piece with curvatures w/s for $50.00 work is out there. Older two piece may w/s run $800-1500.00 each side. I usually charge $65.00 first repair +20 and 20 up to $200 for cracks not advisable for passanger vehicles cash or check and have never had a bad check from an RVer anywhere in the country.
I strongly suggest whatever vehicles you work on get Delta's training and certification. An owner of say a $500,000.00 coach wants a perfect repair. No amature jobs.
Many RVers are now familiar with techs using Delta Kits as Brent sent his trainers to Texarcana AK. several years ago to fill in at a rally for me. You cannot find better customer service than that!.
RV Rallies require a vendors fee and someone to stay in the vendors area to schedule work. Camp grounds especially in AZ., FL.,CA. and most others usually require proof of insurance.
If you run into one of the publishing companies that publish maps for the campgrounds they will try to sell you an ad. They do not work. If you say "no" they will respond that you will not be allowed to work in the park. So then you say "Have you ever heard of Restraint of Trade? It is a federal felony and that is what you are doing!"
Local campgrounds I check on a regular basis for small rallies coming in and am allowed to just slowly drive through when in their area. Do internet search for larger regional rallies. There are full-timer professional RVing techs that follow the RV Rally circuit so if someone else is already signed up nowdays with the attendance down two is too many for anyone to make money.
Good luck.