Understanding Fleets

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
DavidB
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Understanding Fleets

Post by DavidB »

I've read through numerous posts and I'm hoping everyone can give me a better understanding of Fleets.
First, what do you classify at "Fleet"? Some people seem to mean companies such as UPS, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc. that are using a fleet managment program when using the term.
I typically think of a fleet as any business with multiple vehicles, whether it's the local HVAC guy with 4-5 trucks or the plumbing company running 12 or more. Is this thinking correct??

Secondly....I see posts about "Fleet Pricing", and invoicing the customer, then getting paid in a certain amount of days.
This confuses me the most. Don't these vehicles have insurance coverage that will cover chips/cracks just like a personal policy?
If so, why would you have a certain "Fleet Price"?
I'm sure I'm missing something here, so please help clarify for me!

Thanks,
DavidB
bill lambeth

Re: Understanding Fleets

Post by bill lambeth »

99 % of fleets are self insured. That means they are responsible for paying you for your repairs. I do have a school system with about 20 buses that are insured by auto owners on each bus and that means you are going to make a lot more than the going rate for fleets. Fleet prices vary to the market you are in. As far how to price, I charge depending on how many vehicles they have. It is just a numbers game. You want to get more than 2 repairs per stop but the logistics of the account does play into the way I approach the account. I try not to waste gas and energy when traveling to accounts. Make your route where it will work for you and your customer. I hope this will help!